French press style hop/trub strainer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsnbeer

Reaction score
Ive been scouring the internet for different ways to prevent hop particles from entering my CFC. Using a false bottom in the kettle did not work for me, so now I use a hop bag and then transfer to the CFC via a SS racking cane fitted with a SS mesh filter 'tip'. It works (no clogs) but can be a major pain in the a$$ because the SS filter tip gets loaded trub (I have to break the siphon...clean and restart).

French press coffee makers are cool...that system presents a similar problem to what I am experiencing. What are your thoughts in adapting a french press style plunger/filter for a boil kettle?

Challenges would be making an appropriate seal around the edges, and making a cut out for the spigot flange...thoughts?

If your kettle has a valve, how about running from your kettle to another pot, but straining it, like through a big sieve? Then run through your CFC?

The french press idea sounds good, but it would be difficult to make, I would think.

Wouldn't it be easier to whirlpool and siphon from the edge ? Turning your kettle into a giant french press would be cool though.

My latest trick is to transfer the cooled wort to my bottling bucket, lined with a large nylon mesh bag (paint strainer bag). Rack off into your fermenter out of the spigot. Nearly all of the trub and hop particles will be left behind in the bag. Works like a charm and has made my post-boil brewday much less of a headache.

I have a SS scrubby over my BK outlet and then run the hot wort through a hop - back (Hop Rocket) on the way to a plate chiller. Works great for filtering all the trub.

I think I am going to get some kind of hopback system. I also like the stainless steel scrubby concept, Ill incorporate that into my next batch!

Back