tons of whirlpool hops. paint strainer bag or trub cone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sowoah

Reaction score
I am making a NEIPA tomorrow, 10G batch with 12oz of hops added after flameout. Normally, for a hoppy beer with boil additions, I'd use a paint strainer bag. But I am worried that with so many hops, and without the boil, I will not get good extraction. I have a good whirlpool arm in my kettle, but I am not sure how huge of a trub cone 12oz of hops will make, and how much hops junk will end up in the fermenter.

Any tips for dealing with trub in this style?

I whirlpool for twenty min then let it sit for an additional twenty min. Then I slowly begin transfer to the chiller/fermentor. I’m not a fan of bags unless I use whole leaf hops.

How big is your kettle? A keg may be a bit tight but a 20 gallon kettle will be fine

I whirlpool for twenty min then let it sit for an additional twenty min. Then I slowly begin transfer to the chiller/fermentor. I’m not a fan of bags unless I use whole leaf hops.

How big is your kettle? A keg may be a bit tight but a 20 gallon kettle will be fine

Thanks for the reply. It's a 20 gallon kettle. Do you use the pump or let it free drain?

So my plan is:
1. Flameout
2. Start chilling (immersion chiller with whirlpool on)
3. Add hops
4. Continue chilling (no hop stand, but I have a 25 ft chiller and live in the south so it takes a while)
5. After wort hits ~90 or so I remove chiller (fermentation chamber will bring it to temp before pitching)
6. 20 min whirlpool
7. 20 min rest
8. drain (no pump)

So from flameout probably looking at over an hour until the beer is in the kettle.

I begin with gravity but need to switch on the pump after a while since my gear is roughly the same height off the ground.

Once you get the wort below 160ish you’ll stop extracting alpha acids/ bitterness and just pull aroma out of the hops. You should be fine. Good luck!

Back