Freezer or fridge for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I want to start making lagers as well and am wondering if it would be better to get a small chest freezer or a refridgerator? I would think the smaller the better since you can only do one at a time and the freezer wouldnt be used for any ther purpose. what does everyone else use?

I use my 15 cubic foot chest freezer that just happens to be my kegerator. There are usually 2 or 3 carboys in there, some lagering some cold crashing before kegging.

If you are only planning to have 1 at a time, a refrigerator would be good. You could set the temperature properly for fermentation, then lower it for lagering.

This is a quandry for me as well. I would have a huge chest freezer by now, but I don't want to be lifting a full carboy in & out of one. Still undecided.

I use my 15 cubic foot chest freezer that just happens to be my kegerator. There are usually 2 or 3 carboys in there, some lagering some cold crashing before kegging.

Same here.

I'd go with the chest freezer and a larger one if you can. You'll be suprised how fast you find use for a bigger one. ;)

chest freezer is the way to go. There are so much more efficient that fridges since the cold air doesn't fall out when you open it. I lager in kegs. Especially since I can fit more of them into the chest freezer.

Kai

chest freezer is the way to go. There are so much more efficient that fridges since the cold air doesn't fall out when you open it. I lager in kegs. Especially since I can fit more of them into the chest freezer.

Kai

+1 I can only get my fridge down to 41F with a full 5 gal carboy in it. You should have no problem getting to the low 30's with a chest freezer.

Latest posts

Back