Freezer conversion fermentation issue - condensation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I am having a problem with condensation in my freezer conversion fermentation chamber. Basically the compressor turns on, creates a lot of cold next to air which is in the 60s, and I get a good deal of condensation on the inside of the freezer. I'm worried about excessive mildew if I don't keep wiping it down regularly, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the set and forget temperature controlled fermentation chamber.

Any suggestions for dealing with this?

the only real solution is to make sure your collar is sealed really well against the fridge with caulk or something. and to never open the lid, lol

any and all holes for things like gas line / temp probe should be sealed as well.

i have the same problem and i'm in WI, so for 8 months i can ignore the problem because we have no moisture in the air. i'm sure it's a h*ll of a problem in GA

Go get yourself a container of Damp Rid. You should be able to find it at your local grocery or drug store for around $10.

Brian

I have (hopefully had) the same issue in my kegerator but I am working to seal everything up and add more insulation. I think my issues are resolved as of last night. Just know that damp rid or such products may be more of a bandaid than a fix.

I highly recommend using an Eva-Dry unit over DampRid. It is a self-contained unit that you keep in the fridge. When the beads turn from blue to pink, it is full of moisture. Plug it in, and in a few hours it burns out all of the moisture, and you put it bag in the fridge. So easy, and it never runs out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back