Freezer Cleaning Recipe-style classification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enelson89

Reaction score
...So I have had a bunch of grains and hops I over purchased quite a while ago so I decided I would just brew with what I had, but then afterward I couldn't figure what style it would be classified as. I need some help. Here is the recipe:

6.5 lbs Rahr 2 row
3.5 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lb Brown Malt
like an oz and a half Crystal 60

Single infusion mash no mash out 150 degrees

60 Min Boil

1oz Cluster 45min
1oz Cluster 15min

US-05 yeast

When I plug this into my system, I get approximately 1.058 OG, 6% ABV, 8 SRM, 15 IBU, 0.26 BU/GU.

The grist is basically all pale malt with 5% brown. The tiny bit of crystal (< 1%) won't do much. The color is still in the pale ale range. Call it an APA?

I would say your hopping is extremely light. Consider moving all the hops to bittering and add them at FWH or 60 minutes. That will at least get you closer to 0.5 BU/GU ratio.

Brown malt has a strong presence, so at 5% this beer will probably have some nice nutty and coffee flavors from the brown and the Maris Otter.

Sorry, there shouldn't be a decimal point for the 45 min addition I missed that. It's a full ounce

I would call it an American Amber. A touch light in color, Brown Malt maybe a touch off style. Overall, looks like a pretty tasty beer.

Back