Freezer broke down during lager - Bottle or re-lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcarmack

Reaction score
Had an Oktoberfest lagering in my el cheapo freezer, I had stepped it down a little each day until 40, and then I stopped looking in on it for a week. When I did check yesterday, 8 days later, it was at 60 degrees...the stupid cheap freezer broke down somewhere during that week! I assume early during that week, to have come up all the way to 60 with the lid closed. So I have ordered a new freezer...name brand this time, lesson learned there. (Don't by Idylis folks, just uploaded a negative review on Lowes.com because of this...only four months old, this was only its second lager!)

So my question is, with my new freezer here probably by the end of the week, what to do with the Oktoberfest with the failed lager? Should I just bottle it? Or is there any harm in re-lagering it? I assume not, but hey, I assumed a cheap freezer would be just fine too...

Let it warm all the way up to 70f. It'll clean up nicely in a week. Bottle it then lager and enjoy!

I fermented my Oktoberfest at 55f and it was amazing.

Thanks. I also fermented at 55, and had a diacetyl rest...siphoned over to a secondary and stepped it down back to 40 degrees (4 degrees a day) for lagering. It's probably clear enough for bottling, even though I had planned to give it three weeks at 40 degrees...

Maybe if Lowes calls and says the new freezer will be here on Tuesday, I'll throw it back in the freezer. Much longer than that, maybe I will just bottle it this weekend. I really did want to be drinking this at the end of September...you know, for Oktoberfest! :mug:

Back