Free tv and lovin it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a recommendation for a booster?

Actually yes. The RCA TVPRAMP1R.
It can do a combined input or separate vhf/uhf inputs. Has a switch-able FM trap & is really good at avoiding signal overload from close towers.

By the way. Those above making noises about the youtube coathanger antenna.
Don't do it.

It's scaled wrong for the present UHF frequencies & has negative vhf gain.

You want something like it with 9" bows & 8-1/2" seperation.

PM me if you would care for links to technical info and/or build instructions

Anyone have a recommendation for a booster? I'm perfectly content with the number and quality of stations that I currently have, just want to see how many more I can pick up.

The one I use has model #140065-00 on it.Got it at Radioshack.Do not find it on website but I know they still have it in store.It made a big difference for me.

I had one of these antennas and didn't get too much in the house:

SDV8622T_27-IMS-global

I put it on a mast up on the roof and got a few more channels, but it didn't quite have the pull I wanted since I'm a bit far from the towers. I figured I'd just need to shell out for a real antenna, but thought I'd try one more thing.

I picked up a couple of these:

disposable-grill-top-450.jpg

And then I did this:

992619_10151906939144254_1811482324_n.jpg

Strong signals!!!! :rockin:

This ham radio operator takes his hat off for you. I see so many of those nonsense antennas out there, and people would be amazed how well every day objects can work, especially if your receiving only. I had a conversation with someone in Brazil a few weeks ago, using an antenna I built for 15 bucks.

Actually yes. The RCA TVPRAMP1R.
It can do a combined input or separate vhf/uhf inputs. Has a switch-able FM trap & is really good at avoiding signal overload from close towers.

By the way. Those above making noises about the youtube coathanger antenna.
Don't do it.

It's scaled wrong for the present UHF frequencies & has negative vhf gain.

You want something like it with 9" bows & 8-1/2" seperation.

PM me if you would care for links to technical info and/or build instructions

Interested. PM sent.

This ham radio operator takes his hat off for you. I see so many of those nonsense antennas out there, and people would be amazed how well every day objects can work, especially if your receiving only. I had a conversation with someone in Brazil a few weeks ago, using an antenna I built for 15 bucks.

Well, the antenna is still a store-bought, but my ghetto reflectors are pure redneck engineering. :D

I know what you mean though. I have an all-band receiver I like to break out now and then. It's amazing what you can do with just a long piece of wire cut to the right length. I had a friend who was a ham and lived in an apartment. He'd just take a piece of wire, cut to match the band he was using (half or 1/4 wave if necessary), attach a weight to the end and then just dangle it out the window.

I will add that in one of the other tvless threads someone mentioned that you get free local channels (and possibly a few more) over the same signal that cable internet providers give. I installed a cheap splitter and hooked my internet only cable into my tv and I have the nice analog and digital broadcast television stations and even a few bonus (fox sports and masn I believe) all for free. Now I do not have to install that rooftop antenna to get football.

Over here they use better filters so you don't get anything else when you're only paying for cable modem service.

Back