Free pre-boil wort from local brewery (second runnings) HELP W/ hop/yeast choice!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reichman

Reaction score
A local brewer from North Fork Brewery in Wa State posted on facebook some free pre boil wort to whoever wants it. ME! Haha and i might be able to pick up 15 gals of it. Its the second runnings of a barleywine. It will prob be around 1.036 pre boil gravity. Maybe ill keep two batches and give the third to a friend. What hops and yeast do yall suggest?!? Not looking for anything complex. Ill want to do it two different ways with hops and yeast. Prob stick with dry yeast since this was last minute.

Hard to say, cause barleywine is a large style. But ill assume you will be making a ordinary/special bitter with it. Id be safe and use a english yeast, and a floral hop. (I like 1469, im not familiar with dry strains) and use EKG, styrian goldings, or pallisade.

+1 on EKG and Dry yeast suggestions would be S-04 or Nottingham

with 15 gallons I'd also try one as a pale ale... Cascade or Centennial? Steep a pound of C-40 if you've got it. That would make it different. US-05 yeast

heck, you could steep a pound of Chocolate Malt... S-04 and make a nice little stout

there you go, three beers from 15 gallons of wort.

So i had northern brewer for my bittering and i used some cascade. I also used s-04 in one of the batches. The brewer gave me some harvested yeast too, not sure what it is though. He was nice to give me a free beer, a apricot sour, was amazing! Thx for the responses.

Latest posts

Back