Free Online Alternative to Beer Calculus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premnasbiaculeatus

Reaction score
Up until their recent upgrade Hopville's Beer Calculus has never steered me wrong. Unfortunately, now there is no possible way to input a boil size that is different from the batch size. This really sucks, since I do 7 gallon boils to make 15 gallon batches. IE I need to put in considerably larger hop additions in a boil slightly more than half the volume of the diluted final batch. Understandably, isomerization is markedly different at varying specific gravities, and calculating the size of my hop additions in an extremely concentrated high gravity boil to make X amount of IBU's in a finished product post dilution is not as simple as plain multiplication.

Anyone know of anything that can do this math for me? For free?

If anyone has an actual formula, that would likely be just as helpful.

You can change the batch size at the top. You can change your top of water using the "brewing process" tab and going to the "gal fermenter top-up" drop down. You can change your boils size using the "% per hour evaporation" drop down.

I am having problems with the IBU's in the new Beer Calculus. They don't calculate the same way they dd in the original or in my Beer Smith. I always use Tinseth.

Interesting I'm going to have to play around with it some more. Some of my old saved recipes are showing up way different on there now. I'm thinking I'm likely going to have to recalculus them all now.

Back