Free kegs, now I have to build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
My uncle showed up today with 4 free cornies from a friend that works with a food dist. company. Could not have been happier, so now I have to go the rest of the way.

The fridge or keezer I just have to search around and I am sure I know what I need and can make work.

The co2 tank and guages is where I am having a bit of trouble. Everywhere I go they sell kits for around 200 but they include the kegs. I don't need the kegs and am wondering if anyone has any ideas or places I can find the whole setup minus kegs.

Just some more info I thought that 2 taps would be nice to have so a 2 regulator setup is what I am looking for. Thanks for any tips.:mug:

My buddy went to a LHBS, they had the whole system as a pkg deal. He had already purchased two kegs separately, so the guy rated the pricing accordingly on just a tank, regulator, lines and picnic tap. So it was a bit cheaper.

On another note, keep your eyes open on CL...i just scored 2x20lb tanks(full) one is steal, one is aluminum, 3 kegs, brand new regulator, line and picnic tap for $150 locally...just gotta keep looking and be patient if you're in no rush.

Just a tip, you will need two regulators if you want to serve at "two" different pressures. Alot of us simply put a tees in the co2 line and serve many kegs w/ one regulator at the same pressure. Sure having an adjustable pressure for each keg is nice, but not a necessity.

Just a tip, you will need two regulators if you want to serve at "two" different pressures. Alot of us simply put a tees in the co2 line and serve many kegs w/ one regulator at the same pressure. Sure having an adjustable pressure for each keg is nice, but not a necessity.

Yea, I was looking for 2 regulators then I read your post and thought how many times have I adjusted my corn sugar for diff batches. S maybe it would be an extra I can live without right away.

i rent my 20# CO2 tank for $7.50 a month from a local welding supply shop. I did the math and it'll take 2 years for me to lose money doing this rather than buying a brand new tank.

Another question is am I fine with a 5# tank do most of you go bigger?

Most places charge more for touching your tank rather then the fill volume- #5 about $10, #20 about $12 at my local weld shop for example. So if space isn't a limitation, bigger IS better in this case :)

I rent a 20lb tank and swap it when it's empty. Rental was $70 for the year with a free fill.

Lasts forever and is geat of you push beer form one carboy to the other (filtering etc).

Contact a local beverage supply place. The guys that do most of the pop and beer set ups around town. They will have beer line and used parts for (usually) cheap. Great for regs, cornies conectors, towers, faucets, etc..

I put up a $50 deposit for the use of a 5 pound aluminum tank. Refills are 10 bucks. I have two tanks on deposit so I always have a spare. Really depends on the local market whether having a larger tank brings much economy. Even a little 5 pounder will carb. and push a lot of brew. I'd guess ten kegs? I'm all for economy, but the little guys are convenient and not to heavy?

I am looking into a fridge kit with 2 taps and they come with a 5# tank. I want to put the tank in the fridge so the 5# might be the best fit. I was just concerned that it would not be enough. But it looks like it works fine with alot of your setups.

Got kegs, got fridge, just need to find a deal on a kit setup and I am kegging!

Back