Free Cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabst51

Reaction score
I posted on facebook to see if any of my friends had an old chest freezer that I could use for a fermentation chamber... I got the expected replies of "I have one for $200.00, Try "Craigs List" etc.... ONE person dropped something on me that I didn't expect though...

She told me to try http://www.freecycle.org/

I didn't see any freezers on there, in my area BUT.... I also had never heard of it before... Thought I might pass it along if any of you were looking for a freezer to attach your $80.00 thermostat to..... I'll be keeping my eye on it myself.....

I've been a member of my local Freecycle for a couple of years. I've gotten everything from shrubs and perrenials to a space heater and 3 trash bags of fabric scraps (for a different hobby). I don't think I've gotten anything for brewing yet, but I haven't needed to try. My personal rule is to give away more than I get. It's good karma and keeps SWMBO happy.

I'm on a local free cycle. Personally, I have never seen anything that I am remotely interested in. Lots of baby clothes. There is also usually one person posting a "wanted" email for every "offer." Some people just aren't afraid to ask for anything...

Its a good way to unload things though.

Not a very user friendly site. Just home many accounts do I need to use this site? It's asked me to logon twice and gave me another form to fill out. I baled

Not a very user friendly site. Just home many accounts do I need to use this site? It's asked me to logon twice and gave me another form to fill out. I baled

Sorry, didn't mean to make your life complicated... I just went there and looked over the "groups" in my state. I haven't made an account yet... Maybe your problem is with saving the cookie? Just guessing....

I'm real big on re-purposing materials... this just looked like a great site to do it... It will only get better as people and communities join.

At least I hope so....

I LOVE Freecycle! I gave away all kinds of stuff on it- including a piano.

I'm a fan of keeping useful things out of landfills by giving them away to people who can use them. The only thing that bugs me (and it's not allowed on Freecycle, but it slips in sometimes) are the sob stories. "My mother needs an airconditioner because she has emphysema and can't breathe and only gets $300 per month", or "I am sick and need a car to go to the doctor- can someone please give me a car?" are just two that I've seen not too long ago.

The idea of Freecycle is to repurpose items and keep them out of landfills. I got a 20 gallon aquarium (complete with a few fish) on Freecycle a couple of years ago, but mostly I give and don't get much as my house is already full of stuff!

Holy christ this is a confusing site to login and use...WOW...

Got to agree with that. Took a while to figure it out, but once you do it's easy. Been a member for a couple of years though and have gotten and gotten rid of a few things. Nice thing about it is it's very localized and seems a lot less prone to all the scammers and BS on Craigslist.

Back