Free 5 gallons of Bells Wort!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
So I just found this on the bells website, too bad I dont live in Michigan... If I could get some time off I so would drive up there for this.

Originally posted on the bells website...

Bell's 25th Anniversary Homebrew Competition Guidelines

As part of our 25th Anniversary celebration weekend, we will be giving away free wort to homebrewers to be used in a homebrew competition judged by Bell's Brewery, Inc. The details of this competition are listed below and additional information will be given when wort is received. If there are any additional questions, feel free to email [email protected].

1. Limit one five gallon carboy per person. Carboys should be clean, sanitized, and ready to receive wort.

2. There will be a time slot signup sheet available beginning at 11am in the foyer of the Eccentric Café. Time slots will be divided into 15 people every 15 minutes. Please sign up for your desired time slot to get your carboy filled and be present at least 5 minutes before your session starts.

3. The wort will be made with 100% Michigan Pale Ale malt that is minimally boiled and entirely unhopped. While this allows complete freedom from recipes and imaginations to run wild, it does mean that homebrewers will have to complete the kettle boil on their own systems.

4. There are no restrictions or style guidelines for the final beer, so long as it uses the base wort provided by Bell's Brewery, Inc.

5. While the posters are asking for 2 bottles, we have increased the entry to 4 12oz. bottles in order to have enough for the judging process. They must be in to Bell's by 9 pm Friday, October 29th with the entry form and properly labeled with the stickers provided by the brewery. Any late entries will not be considered. Entries may be dropped off at Bell's General Store.

6. Judging will take place on Saturday, October 30th, and winners will be announced at 3 pm on Sunday, November 7th during All Stouts Day at Bell's Eccentric Café. Contestants are not required to be present to win. Competition prizes will be announced when wort is picked up on Saturday, September 11th.

7. Beers will be judged based on a purely hedonic scale, not formal BJCP criteria.

I noticed that about the date, too. I was thinking that a month is pretty quick turnaround for some homebrewers, if they were giving out the wort this weekend.

I wonder if they would allow you to add something like dark malt extract and turn it into an RIS?

I wonder if they would allow you to add something like dark malt extract and turn it into an RIS?

Rules said:
4. There are no restrictions or style guidelines for the final beer, so long as it uses the base wort provided by Bell's Brewery, Inc.

My read is so long as you start with and use their wort you can do whatever you want with it.

Back