Four week timeline and no temp control - Saison or stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstAidBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all,

So as my topic states, I have a deadline of four weeks from now for a beer that I will be making tomorrow for a Thanksgiving-ish function.

Typically I do a stout but for this go-around my fermentation fridge has been commandeered so I won't be able to control temps as usual.

I am wondering if I should bag the stout recipe and go with a Saison that will deal better with warmer temps or would a stout do OK with lack of temp control depending on the recipe.

I would be fermenting in my basement where temps are in the high 60s.

What do you think? Cheers!

Stout should work fine. Saisons tend to be fermented much higher than that. I've been researching and it seems you want the temp on a saison in the 80-90F range depending on yeast. High 60's to me doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Should be within normal fermentation range for an ale. A hefe would be a better option if worried about high temp and quick turnaround.

Can you jerry-rig a water bath to shave a couple degrees? What yeast are you using? I would think US-05 would be fine at 67-68 for an ale.

It does seem right on the borderline for either beer. I think you would be fine either way, so go for your ale.

For the stout, stick your fermentor in a large plastic tote and fill with water at the right temperature until the fermentor becomes almost buoyant. Add frozen water bottles a couple times a day to keep at that temp. The first week is the most important, you can let it rise slowly to room temps after that.

Cover that tote/fermentor with a few towels or thick blanket to keep it somewhat insulated.

Again, Saisons like it warmer, if that's what you want for your event. Use a heating pad and a thick blanket/sleeping bag if needed.

I would stick with your stout. When it gets cool enough I've been able to leave a carboy placed directly on my basement floor and maintain ferm temps as low as 60. If your basement isn't that cool I'd recommend using a swamp bucket which could easily keep temps in the mid 60s. I think your current temp might be a little too cool for a saison.

I dunno, man. I'd search for an Option C because stouts tend to need more aging than 3ish weeks after fermentation. (Of course if you know this recipe inside and out and you know it's good in a month then ignore me.)

I'm open to other options. Saison was just the first thing my mind went to when I thought warmer temps.

High 60s is fine for a lot of yeasts. For a party that isn't full of beer geeks, I like to please the masses with a blonde or Pils which you shouldn't find any trouble fermenting in the high 60s. For some reason WL011 is my favorite yeast, and I wouldn't hesitate fermenting anything with it in the high 60s. A high ferm temp will benefit you since you have a deadline. Of course the sky is the limit if the party is full of beer geeks.

I have the same deadline for thx giving. I will be doing a dry hopped blonde that I will ferment at 68 degrees to insure it finishes in time for me to dry hop, cold crash, and keg.

If your basement is around 68, it doesn't take much to keep your tote cooler at 65. As @JonM said, stouts may benefit from longer aging, but it depends on your recipe, gravity, and stout you're brewing. The last thing you want to create is fusel alcohols, so you need some way to keep the temps low.

That said, Saisons are all the fashion now. My last one I fermented for 2 weeks at an ambient 67° in my lower level bathroom and let it sit for another 2 weeks at those temps, then kegged and force carbonated. It was one of the best "clean" Saisons I brewed. During our MASHOUT event in August the keg almost kicked.

Thanks for the input all. Decided to go with a pale ale recipe I've used in the past sans temp control. No beer snobs except for yours truly so even if I get some extra flavors, I don't think anyone will mind. Cheers!

Back