Four days and no bubbling in airlock, but SG dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooDaddy

Reaction score
It has been exactly four days since I put my Chocolate stout in the fermenting bucket, and never did I see any bubbling activity in the airlock. Yesterday I pushed down around the edge of the lid and at one spot heard a little click, suggesting to me that I may have had a small air leak. Today I took off the lid and noticed a healthy looking krausen on top, and measured a SG of 1.020, down from an original SG of 1.058 (the recipe called for an O.G. of 1.056 and a F.G. of 1.012).

Question: If I had a lid leak for the first 3 days, should I expect that sealing the leak yesterday I would see a beginning of airlock activity today or going forward? Also, is there anything else I should do now other than leaving it alone?

Thanks

Well, for starters, clearly you had an air leak and clearly the beer is doing great.

There's still a decent chance of a continued air leak because I'd expect at least a little airlock activity. That said there's a chance it's actually done fermenting. But normally there'd be a little more left to go and you'll see the occasional bubble. So you still probably have a tiny leak somewhere.

They can be really hard to find sometimes too. Might have to wait until after the beer is out so you can really take things apart to look.

It's likely the click was the lid seating where it was a little loose. As far as seeing bubbling, if it is sealed correctly now, you might still see slow bubbling. After a few days, the majority of active fermentation is done. Don't worry if you don't see any more; the yeasties are still doing their thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I was using a bucket, it was really hit or miss whether I would get much bubbling from the airlock and the beer was always fine. There's a positive pressure of CO2 created inside. I wouldn't mess with it too much while there's beer in the bucket or you might risk infection/oxidation. Just let it ride and then you can investigate later.

plastic bucket covers are really notorious for not sealing properly allowing CO2 to escape out via the gap instead of via the airlock.

my guess, which someone else will have to chime in on, would be to just get it bottled/kegged as quick as possible to avoid oxygen? (after fermentation is done of course!)

because if you had active krausen, and NO airlock activity, that's one hell of a leaky seal! unless it's a lager at 50f?

Back