Founder's Sumatra Mountain Brown clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theseeker4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am trying to build a clone of this beer: http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/sumatra-mountain-brown/.

If you haven't had it, it is very sweet, but not cloying, and has a nice, strong, coffee flavor to it, without much noticeable hop flavor or aroma. I have a recipe partially pieced together, but am looking for any feedback from anyone who has tried it. If you haven't tried it, it is excellent if you like coffee flavored beers....

I keg my 5 gallon batches, but since my wife doesn't like coffee beers, I am making a smaller batch and will be bottling.

3.5 gallons
70% efficiency
39.4 IBU
9.7% ABV
29.3 SRM
OG 1.110
FG 1.038

Grain Bill:
10 lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs Munich 10L
1 lb Aromatic malt
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Crystal 40
0.5 lbs Chocolate malt

1 oz perle hops 60 minutes
1 oz Hallartauer hops 15 minutes

Wyeast 1338 European ale yeast

I was thinking of adding maybe 2 cups of strong cold-brewed Sumatran coffee at bottling, but really have no feel for exactly how much coffee would be right to approximate the Founder's beer. This beer will have a high FG, and I purposely chose a low attenuating yeast, because there is a LOT of sweetness in the original, and want to replicate that.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

My next to last batch was an Oatmeal Stout infused with some 3 or 4 oz First Crack Roasted Cofee.
The cofee was ground, mixed with some vodka forforsanitizing and dumped in secondary for 1 week..
The cover flavor is there without being overpowering...

I know nothing about Sumatra coffee, but I use 8 oz of cold brewed coffee in 2 gallons using 10% Kona Choc/Mac Nut coffee. Comes out GREAT. I added the coffee to the bottling bucket. First time a little at a time to get the right flavor.

Trying to revive this thread. How did this recipe turn out, and are there any changes you'd make?

Love the beer/drinking it now! In my opinion there is no lactose in there. Tastes much more like a stout to me than a brown...obviously because of the coffee. I would use a good attenuating yeast and mash lower 150s than mid to get the 9% abv. I prefer a good US yeast to get the job done, but that's just my flavor profile when I make a stout. I use about 6-8 teaspoons of coffee grains when I use wort chiller and then also bottle with coffee too. I really like coffee stouts! Founders brown Sumatra ale is dynamite.

The original recipe looks really good. Any results on this?

Hi everyone,
I am trying to build a clone of this beer: http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/sumatra-mountain-brown/.

If you haven't had it, it is very sweet, but not cloying, and has a nice, strong, coffee flavor to it, without much noticeable hop flavor or aroma. I have a recipe partially pieced together, but am looking for any feedback from anyone who has tried it. If you haven't tried it, it is excellent if you like coffee flavored beers....

I keg my 5 gallon batches, but since my wife doesn't like coffee beers, I am making a smaller batch and will be bottling.

3.5 gallons
70% efficiency
39.4 IBU
9.7% ABV
29.3 SRM
OG 1.110
FG 1.038

Grain Bill:
10 lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs Munich 10L
1 lb Aromatic malt
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Crystal 40
0.5 lbs Chocolate malt

1 oz perle hops 60 minutes
1 oz Hallartauer hops 15 minutes

Wyeast 1338 European ale yeast

I was thinking of adding maybe 2 cups of strong cold-brewed Sumatran coffee at bottling, but really have no feel for exactly how much coffee would be right to approximate the Founder's beer. This beer will have a high FG, and I purposely chose a low attenuating yeast, because there is a LOT of sweetness in the original, and want to replicate that.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm wondering how this recipe turned out?
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back