Founders Solid Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
What does everyone think about Founders Solid Gold? They're making a pretty big play to go against the big brewers to the point where I've found this beer retailed next to Bud and Bud Light with a sign that says "Why Not Try a Craft Lager?"

Personally, I love All Day IPA, but Solid Gold isn't nearly as good and, to my taste buds, isn't any better than Budweiser. I guess that's the point, but to me it really waters down (pun intended) the Founders brand. If I buy it, it's because it's dirt cheap and good for catching a buzz, but it's making me second guess my opinion of the Founders brand (which was really good until recently.)

What do you think? Is this good for craft beer because it'll bring the BMC drinkers to craft, or is this Founders selling out?

-John

I don't know anything about Founders, but it sounds to me like they are trying to reach a new market segment, for the purpose of making a profit. This will always happen at the intersection of art, craft, and making a living. I hope they do well with it.

Yeah, no hard feeling for doing what's best for the business. I think this might signal that Founders has outgrown the "craft beer" market, and they have to figure out what's next.

I'm not usually one to take a stance against a brewery for their decisions. If their beer is good, I'll buy it. I don't think this beer is particularly good, but it is particularly cheap.

i bought a case. think it was $15 for 15 cans. I wasnt too impressed. Very similar to a retro beer in taste and the can design. Personally I'd just get a 30 pack of Hamm's for the same price.

I paid $12 for a 15 pack. PBR can't even beat that, ounce for ounce (trust me, I did the math!)

Bought a 15-pack this weekend for the beach. Can’t say it’s any better than Bud Heavy, but hey, if I kept $16 out of the hands of InBev and scratched my itch for an easy-drinking lager, why not?

I bought a 6-pack of cans. It's a premium lager. Really no different than pretty much any other premium lager, TBH.

I have not price-compared, but I would have a hard time believing it's less expensive than the Big Boys' beers.

For me, that style isn't a usual pick. I prefer many other light beer styles, but am interested in brewing a quality version myself, for those times when I want one, or for friends who prefer the lighter styles (nearly all of my friends are either craft beer drinkers or no beer drinkers. Only 1-2 are light beer drinkers.)

I suspect if the price point is low enough, it will succeed. That style is still pretty popular and might bridge the gap for friends of craft beer drinkers who want to hang out and socialize with their craft beer drinking buddies.

Anyway, Oberon is released today, so who cares about a premium lager!!

I paid $12 for a 15 pack. PBR can't even beat that, ounce for ounce (trust me, I did the math!)
I think you are joking, but in case not PBR is like half the price, once for ounce,

I bought a 6-pack of cans. It's a premium lager. Really no different than pretty much any other premium lager, TBH.

I have not price-compared, but I would have a hard time believing it's less expensive than the Big Boys' beers.

For me, that style isn't a usual pick. I prefer many other light beer styles, but am interested in brewing a quality version myself, for those times when I want one, or for friends who prefer the lighter styles (nearly all of my friends are either craft beer drinkers or no beer drinkers. Only 1-2 are light beer drinkers.)

I suspect if the price point is low enough, it will succeed. That style is still pretty popular and might bridge the gap for friends of craft beer drinkers who want to hang out and socialize with their craft beer drinking buddies.

Anyway, Oberon is released today, so who cares about a premium lager!!

what do you consider a premium lager? when was the last time you bought or drank any macro beer? for the price it's a little cheaper than imports like heineken, stella or dos equis. bud, miller or coors you are getting 24 cans for about the same price. Coors banquet is regularly $9-10 for a 12 pack. I think it compares taste wise with a Hamm's or Rolling rock which you get a 30 rack for the same price.

I think you are joking, but in case not PBR is like half the price, once for ounce,

what do you consider a premium lager? when was the last time you bought or drank any macro beer?

Well, since you asked, I don't normally choose a light (pale) lager, but I have one sometimes. Generally it's Budweiser, Heineken, Labatt's, Red Stripe (although I don't care much for that, but if a friend is offering...) Sometimes PBR. I do like Miller and Stroh's, and the Michelob retro beer they offered for a while was pretty good. I think, without relying on the style guidelines, a premium lager would be one that I enjoy that isn't a "LITE" beer and isn't offered at a massive discount, like Busch Light, Keystone, (fill in the blank) Ice, Milwaukee's Best, etc.

As far as the last time, I'd be strained to remember. But I drink beer very often and remembering each time I drink any of them, especially something as unimpressive as a light lager, would be challenging. I don't usually remember what I had for dinner two nights ago. Actually I had a small bowl of homemade quick sauerkraut 2 nights ago, and then something else later, but I on'y remember the sauerkraut.)

I guess my point is that light lagers are so similar that the differences between them are practically nil. Most use the same noble hops and the same grains. I suppose that is what defines them, just like a Kolsch style beer will be very similar to pretty much most other Kolsch style beer. Yeah, you can have some poor examples, but for a big brewery like Founders, they aren't going to have a poor example. They will be right up there with the macro brewers in quality. Hence the similarities.

Now I remember I had salad 2 nights ago, and then some snacks after that while playing WoW (That I probably didn't need to eat...)

No, not joking. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the Founders was 6.7 cents per ounce, and I want to say that the PBR was $4.69 for 6x12oz cans = 6.5 cents per ounce. The tall boys were a little more per ounce. At any rate, they were very close, but there's no way that PBR was even close to half the price...that would put it at $2.40 for a six pack.

Regardless, the Founders was not selling at craft beer prices but at macro beer prices, give or take a few cents.

No, not joking. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the Founders was 6.7 cents per ounce, and I want to say that the PBR was $4.69 for 6x12oz cans = 6.5 cents per ounce. The tall boys were a little more per ounce. At any rate, they were very close, but there's no way that PBR was even close to half the price...that would put it at $2.40 for a six pack.

Regardless, the Founders was not selling at craft beer prices but at macro beer prices, give or take a few cents.

I dont know where you live but my local grocery store in Illinois has 30 packs of PBR on sale this week for $13.99 or 3.88 cents per ounce. Solid Gold is on sale as well $13.99 for a 15 pack. that's exactly half the price. If you are paying 6.5 cents per ounce for PBR, you are doing it wrong.

I'm in CT...not the cheapest place around. In fairness, I was comparing to 6 pack of 12 oz cans and 16oz cans...I didn't notice the price of the 30 racks, which we're probably a better deal. But they did have the Founders for $12/15 pack, which is a deal.

What does everyone think about Founders Solid Gold? They're making a pretty big play to go against the big brewers to the point where I've found this beer retailed next to Bud and Bud Light with a sign that says "Why Not Try a Craft Lager?"

Personally, I love All Day IPA, but Solid Gold isn't nearly as good and, to my taste buds, isn't any better than Budweiser. I guess that's the point, but to me it really waters down (pun intended) the Founders brand. If I buy it, it's because it's dirt cheap and good for catching a buzz, but it's making me second guess my opinion of the Founders brand (which was really good until recently.)

What do you think? Is this good for craft beer because it'll bring the BMC drinkers to craft, or is this Founders selling out?

-John

I liked Solid Gold to some extent. A hoppy pilsner. Reminded me a lot of All Day though dialed back a bit.
I don't think it is as cheap here in MI as BMC stuff but not bad.
I think it is being marketed to the BMC folks, but maybe too hoppy to switch many over from the dark side.

Solid Gold is an excellent light lager with a bit of extra color and flavor. The hops aren't really my favorite, but the bitterness and aroma are right in line with what you'd expect of a well-hopped beer a cut above your typical American-style lager.
In my opinion, Founders is one of the best contemporary breweries in the States. If you buy and drink commercial beer as a homebrewer, you always compare your beers to your favorites off the shelf. Solid Gold is an occasional summer purchase for me and as long as it has a competitive price compared to more expensive craft, I will buy it.

Last edited:
Back