Founders KBS Haul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimyson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Needless to say but I am a happy camper this year and can't wait to crack one of these open. I have never had one but can say that Founders is one of my favorite breweries.

Figured I would grab some Hopping Frog at the same time. Should be an enjoyable weekend.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396619860.264106.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396619880.300948.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396619939.134894.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Enjoy. KBS is good stuff. I'd drink one and let the rest sit for some months.

If that Hoppin Frog is anything like their BA double pumpkin, you'll be sorry.
I paid $18 for a 22oz bottle and it was awful. It was like they poured a shot of cheap whiskey in every bottle. Starts out tasting kinda like a pumpkin pie and then BAM! WHISKEY! you can't taste anything else after that. Shared it with a buddy of mine and he poured half of it down the drain. They are now in the clearance section of the local craft beer stores.
You'll be happy with the KBS, though! There's a reason it is so popular, all of the flavors work well together. You'll wish you had bought more.

I was wondering what a good time to cellar it is. Ultimately I am drinking one this weekend, sending, one to my sis out in Seattle with some other goodies, and saving the last. Any ideas?

I'm not trying to be a poopy pants, but only recently did I realize what a big deal it is that you guys can get this.

I can buy a case nearly any time I want to here in NC... I've only ever failed to find it when I went to look for it one time at my normal store.

Good beer, but maybe it being common in my neck of the woods removes of the specialness of it.

Wait, did you say that you can get KBS any time? You sure you are confusing with FBS?

I have read a lot of good things about the HF though. We'll see. Can't hurt to try.

I'm not trying to be a poopy pants, but only recently did I realize what a big deal it is that you guys can get this.

I can buy a case nearly any time I want to here in NC... I've only ever failed to find it when I went to look for it one time at my normal store.

Good beer, but maybe it being common in my neck of the woods removes of the specialness of it.

It's only distributed one month a year. How are there cases just sitting around you 12 months out of the year?

I've got 2 bottles that me and our buddy are opening tonight. Not sure if I'm more excited for that or to tap our new keg of Belgian wheat.

Sent from my iPhone

Misunderstood or trolling?

Yes... I am a supporting member so I can come here and troll ;).

I've looked for it a total of five times in the last two years and every time a huge amount has been available. A friend of mine bought a case three weeks ago, and I chuckled because of the big hoorah here. I was at a small liquor store two months ago 500 miles away in Cincinnati and they had six four packs sitting on the shelf.

Maybe my experience has been lucky, but it has been my experience none-the-less.

Yes... I am a supporting member so I can come here and troll ;).

I've looked for it a total of five times in the last two years and every time a huge amount has been available. A friend of mine bought a case three weeks ago, and I chuckled because of the big hoorah here. I was at a small liquor store two months ago 500 miles away in Cincinnati and they had six four packs sitting on the shelf.

Maybe my experience has been lucky, but it has been my experience none-the-less.

I'm gonna call shenanigans on this. There's just no way...

I'm a complete idiot and an ignoramus.

I'm thinking FBS.

I'm so sorry... Sigh. I'll now accept all ridicule. I deserve it. Man, I'm embarrassed.

Even then, FBS is an exceptional seasonal beer. In Illinois ot is limited.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Were you able to get pick any up this year TrustyolJohnson?

The Bloomington friar tuck had a two bottle limit and sold out in 20 minutes. I was lucky this year and got two.

I was wondering what a good time to cellar it is. Ultimately I am drinking one this weekend, sending, one to my sis out in Seattle with some other goodies, and saving the last. Any ideas?

I'm interested in this too... Picked up 4 of them today, would have bought the rest but was having a hard time explaining to my wife why I needed to get them all at about $5 each.

Did a little searching.

“So which beers are best for aging? Ales are, primarily, with bottle-conditioned ones preferred, as the yeast provides a bit of a protective effect. These “live” beers undergo more complex changes and age more gracefully than filtered or pasteurized ones. There is rarely a need to age lagers, as these are normally brought to their peak of flavor at the brewery.
You should be looking at beers upward of 7 percent alcohol; bigger beers will age even longer. Belgian Dubbels will lose a little of their sweet edge, dry out, and become a little more complex and elegant in a year or two. In beers with Brettanomyces, such as Orval or Goose Island Matilda (which Orval inspired), the wild yeast continues to evolve fascinating barnyard overtones over the course of a year or two.
Sour Belgian-style beers are somewhat the exception to the strength rule. Many of these beers will age for quite some time, yet they rarely exceed 6 percent alcohol. Many, such as lambic, are aged for several years at the brewery, but the boisterous little party of microflora in the bottle will keep the beer evolving for quite some time. You have to like[…]”

Excerpt From: Mosher, Randy. “Tasting Beer.” Storey Publishing, 2009. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=364611854ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396787858.697321.jpg

I'm rarely interested in beers that breweries do once a year that make the masses go nuts. Just not interested in hunting down one beer when there are 1000 different beers at my local store.

Three Floyds does the same garbage. Make it difficult to obtain and watch the drones open their wallets. No thanks. It's just beer.

Were you able to get pick any up this year TrustyolJohnson?

The Bloomington friar tuck had a two bottle limit and sold out in 20 minutes. I was lucky this year and got two.

After seeing HBTalk blow up Fri evening with pics, (admittefly off my game a lil bit here),I started looking around Sat morn. Champaign Binnys had 2 cases on Monday when they opened at 1 bottle per person limits. Sold out by 5 pm. Savoy Friar Tuck got 3 cases Tues morn and had to call a mgr in on his day off to administer the sale. 1 bottle per person. All gone by 3 pm. In Danville, I have been told there is a liquour store that will have possibly 1 case when the truck comes in Thurs. If I can get my hands on jus one, I will!! Or wait til next year :/

Very nice! I'm glad that you were able to find some. Cheers!

I'm rarely interested in beers that breweries do once a year that make the masses go nuts. Just not interested in hunting down one beer when there are 1000 different beers at my local store.

Three Floyds does the same garbage. Make it difficult to obtain and watch the drones open their wallets. No thanks. It's just beer.

its actually business genius though. i talked to a manager at a newer store local to me and he said that he couldnt even get kbs- he tried- because they had not bought enough founders over the course of a year.
sooooo if you're a store that caters to craft beer and want to get kbs you need to stock and sell all the other founders year round. tell me that's not genius. i HATE it as much as you, but it wouldn't work if KBS wasn't so good.
i have a friend that manages at a craft beer bar (best in tjhe area actually) and they mistakenly got two sixtals of KBS instead of the one they were alotted. She knowinlgy kept both, lol
sold out of both in under an hour.
i was out looking for a different beer, b ut also asking about kbs 2 weeks ago and was told i could enter a lottery to be able to buy the beer. i entered it and was given a call the following monday morning. i showed up and was able to purchase one 12oz bottle for $8.
surely this is not what founders intended.... or was it?
of the kbs each store is given i would estimate that half is already saved for friends of the store owner leaving even less for the average customer.
the whole thing is pretty damn frustrating if you ask me.
to top it all off i had to share my bottle with my craft brew loving girlfriend!

meh...my buddy got his hands on 20 without much effort. I got 5 and one as a gift. I don't seek it out. But if I see it, I will buy it. It isn't mind blowing either.

OP: I finally got my hands on two bottles as well. My guess is I'll never work to get another beer but I did jump when the e-mail hit the first time around. I'm sure it is good but I do not call what is done business genius or anything of the sort. Founders knows they could ramp up production just slightly and still keep it "rare" while still delivering to more folks. They don't because the hype and the bull**** camping out and stuff is good and free PR.
meh...my buddy got his hands on 20 without much effort. I got 5 and one as a gift. I don't seek it out. But if I see it, I will buy it. It isn't mind blowing either.

Yeah, I kind of doubt that. Stores aren't even getting much more than a couple of cases and if you're not buying/selling enough of the other Founder's stuff, you're not getting a case at all. One bottle shop got a case, between what I am sure he held onto for himself and maybe a couple buddies, he had about 16 to sell. 2 bottle limit. A very large shop got 3 cases, sold out in under 25 minutes. 2 bottles per until the last case then 1 bottle per. Your buddy isn't getting 20 without much effort unless he knows someone and that someone got at least 3 cases.

Yeah, I kind of doubt that. Stores aren't even getting much more than a couple of cases and if you're not buying/selling enough of the other Founder's stuff, you're not getting a case at all. One bottle shop got a case, between what I am sure he held onto for himself and maybe a couple buddies, he had about 16 to sell. 2 bottle limit. A very large shop got 3 cases, sold out in under 25 minutes. 2 bottles per until the last case then 1 bottle per. Your buddy isn't getting 20 without much effort unless he knows someone and that someone got at least 3 cases.

No need to doubt. He does knwo several beer managers. Got between 2-4 from 5 different stores. Our biggest catch was randomly walking into mom and pop BMC store to find they are selling 4 packs...no limit. I bought one, he bought 2. He said he's buying the last today, which would make a case.

I started to joke and call him 1%, because he probably got 1% of all of Massachusetts KBS this year.

Sometimes you just get lucky. I was happy to get one bottle, but then yesterday I walked into a store and was very surprised to see 4-packs of KBS in the cooler with the other Founder's beers.

I was lucky and bought one on Wednesday. It is a bit ironic how I was able to purchase my bottle. I decided to brew a stout next and with a decent FBS clone recipe, this was the stout of choice. I went over to the Total Wine in search of an FBS. None on the shelves at all so I went to customer service and see a bottle of KBS with the descriptive tag with limit one per person written across it. $5.99 and only one per person, this must be special (I had no idea what it was, I do now!) so I bought one and a Left Hand Milk Stout (which was excellent!)

I didn’t get an FBS like I wanted but came home with a KBS not knowing how rare they are. Now to find an FBS since total wine will not receive any stock until September.

So I learned tonight that I had purchased 2 bottles of KBS from my store that only received 12 bottles total!!! A half case!! What company ship 3 4 packs?? Still glad that I got em!!

Back