Founders KBS/CBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyhammastix

Reaction score
I'm taking a go at my first attempt at a KBS/CBS clone this Saturday. I Plan on splitting them up in secondary to add my maple bourbon soaked oak cubes into one for the Canadian and little extra chocolate bourbon oak in #2 for Kentucky. My real dilemma is adding the chocolate and coffee. Reading every thread on hbt regarding KBS it seems as if the best approach to get nice coffee/chocolate flavors after such a long aging process is to add 2 weeks or less before bottling.

My question is, why add any to the boil if that alone does not give off much of the coffee/chocolate flavor? Couldn't I sit back and just add cold brewed coffee 2 weeks before bottling along with some cocoa nibs?

I enjoy cooking so I understand the concept of layering flavors, I like to season my dishes throughout each step to increase the flavor complexities, is adding your chocolate/coffee in late boil similar to this "layering of flavors" concept?

No I've found that any hot side additions dont really create an additional layer of flavor. They fade more quickly, and usually slowly turn into an astringent off flavor rather than providing a backdrop for the additions to the fermentor. Any that you would add at flameout, youd be better off saving and adding more into the fermentor.

So its safe to say... I should not add any of my additions to my boil, and wait until the end of my conditioning process in secondary to add chocolate and coffee?

Secondly, and opinions out there as to best ways to get the chocolate/coffee in? I read so many different approaches; Coffee - add cold brewed or add hole beans. Chocolate; create a chocolate paste or use nibs. Can anyone enlighten me on their experiences? In case you want to get detailed, i'm aiming to transfer 5 Gal. into my secondary and let sit for 6 months

Yeah I'd do all the additions after boiling. Sometimes Ill add some cocoa powder at flameout for an exaggerated chocolate flavor along with nibs. But cacao nibs are the best method IMO

Here's my founder inspired maple breakfast stout. I describe my methods to add all that stuff
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=496504

Back