Founders Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, as I am sure most of you have done, you saved your beer bottles as opposed to buying new ones right? Well, I am not sure if any of you have had the Scottish Ale from Founders Brewery in MI, but I am a fan. The bottle is a shorter fatter bottle, not a long neck. Here is a pic (I think). Will these work for bottling my home brew?

c_beer_image.gif

Ah saw the link after my slow phone post. If the cap is standard size, bottle should work fine.

I use commercial bottles that I've washed and de-labed with oxiclean all the time. The only bottles that I've bought are a case of 22oz bombers that I wanted to bottle a Russian Imperial Stout with. Before you go crazy buying founders, try capping one to make sure your bottle capper can handle them. I've found red stripe bottles and some european lager bottles wont cap properly, but pretty much anything North American in origin should be no problem.

Yea, They only thing that kind of concerns me is the "lip". The "lip", where the capper grabs is REALLY thin. Everything else with it seems normal, except for that lip.

I've seen some people say they've had problems with Founders bottles thanks to the thin lip up top. Same with Anchor bottles. I'd try doing an empty test bottle or two to be sure. Even better, fill them with water, cap, then store upside down for a week or so to see if you get any leakage.

I've seen some people say they've had problems with Founders bottles thanks to the thin lip up top. Same with Anchor bottles. I'd try doing an empty test bottle or two to be sure. Even better, fill them with water, cap, then store upside down for a week or so to see if you get any leakage.

That's a great idea. That's what I will do! Thanks!

Cool, thanks guys! I have 12 and I just didn't want to bother cleaning em and storing em, and then using em if they are going to break with my home brew in em while I try to cap. I'd be pissed if they broke when I had fresh home brew in em.

Yea, I don't know. I guarantee they are pry offs. I am not that oblivious to think they are pry offs if they were screw offs. Everything from Founders (that I have had) is pry off.

founders used to do screw offs like 2 years ago or so, they do pry offs now. ( I remember because I thought it was funny that KBS came in a screw top bottle)

Founder's bottles have a fairly short "collar" around the neck, about half as big as a Sierra Nevada or other standard crown cap collar. The bottle capper clamps around the neck and lifts against this collar as the bell crimps the cap down around the lip. The short collar makes the capper feel like it's not catching on anything (sometimes it even feels like the closing-part is scraping the glass). It takes a slightly different technique (I usually pre-close the handles a bit before putting the capper on the bottle, and that seems to do it) but these bottles will cap just fine. This goes for Founder's and any of the others that have these short collars. If bottles break, it's probably not because the glass is thinner, but that your capper is closing around a part of the neck that's a bit too big around.

To clear up the confusion in this thread about what's different about these bottles, this picture is a Founder's on the left and a Sierra Nevada on the right:
IMG_20110419_212608.jpg

Pyramid uses those bottles as well, and so does Rasputin RIS. Does anyone sell these bottles in bulk cases? I've never seen them for sale anywhere. Guess I'll have to start drinking more of these so I can build up my own stock. lol

founders used to do screw offs like 2 years ago or so, they do pry offs now. ( I remember because I thought it was funny that KBS came in a screw top bottle)

That explains it. Actually SNPA used to come with screw tops as well.

Abita branded stuff comes in the shorties. Their labels peel off easy, as with their glue. Their beer on the hand isn't something I would buy again- but that is just me.

I love the Sierra Nevada bottles. I like the little 12-pack cases they come in too. I have about ten of those cases. The labels float off after a half hour in oxyclean, and then I use my thumb and a 3M pad to scrub a little. Easy!

When Founders moved from Monroe street to the current location they took their bottling line with them (screw top) about three years ago (more?) they bought a new bottling system and now use the pry top. I don't know what they did with the old bottle line. I think they are all pry top now. That picture the OP showed is a screw top from the original bottling line.

I bottled with Founders bottles before and they worked fine. I didnt carb in them though. I bottled from a keg

I hope they work, I've got some Founders, Lagunitas and Tyranenna bottles, that all look the same. Haven't gotten to bottling yet.

Back