Founders All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewski09 said:
I'm planning on adding citra in a batch coming up because I think it's a good hop in here, just not too much of it

I agree on keeping the Citra light. My house session IPA uses Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo, and I've always thought it was similar to All Day, but the Citra in my beer really stands out, whereas I honestly have never tasted an All Day and really picked out the Citra in it.

HopRodGR said:
I agree on keeping the Citra light. My house session IPA uses Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo, and I've always thought it was similar to All Day, but the Citra in my beer really stands out, whereas I honestly have never tasted an All Day and really picked out the Citra in it.

Where do you find the citra to be best utilized between flavor, aroma, and dry hops? I was considering only dry hops.

brewski09 said:
Where do you find the citra to be best utilized between flavor, aroma, and dry hops? I was considering only dry hops.

In my book, Citra belongs between 15 mins left in the boil and flameout, or as a dry hop. Citra is loaded with oil, and most of that is Myrcene, which boils off above 150, so I tend to use it at either flameout or in the dry hop. I think you'd be fine either way, but if there is one thing I've learned on Citra, is that a little goes a long way.

I was in Grand Rapids this weekend and had an All Day IPA for the first time. I may have to take a go at a similar recipe.

Session IPA is where its at on a hot summer day.

Any recent updates on this one? I'm going to try and get this in my rotation soon. Any further tweaks anyone would like to share?

Exst said:
Any recent updates on this one? I'm going to try and get this in my rotation soon. Any further tweaks anyone would like to share?
I don't think anyone has done it with rye yet. You could try up to 5% of the grist as rye.

I just bottled my second batch. This is my new house beer. Move over centennial blonde, ADIPA is here. The homebrew version is VERY close, and EXCELLENT.

Can you post the recipe/process details you used on the latest batch here? Looking to give this a go soon and looking at the differences in each person's attempt.

I'm currently looking to do an extract or BIAB version of this recipe.

Thanks! :rockin:

brewski09 said:
5 Gallon batch size OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F. 6# 12oz Briess 2-row 1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L 12oz flaked oats 4oz Briess Red Wheat 8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min 6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min 14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min 14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min 14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min 14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min 14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min Dryhop (7 days) 14g Simcoe 14.1AA 14g Amarillo 8.6AA 14g Crystal 3.4AA I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work. My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine. For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer. Cheers :mug:

Btw this is the recipe I've brewed twice to great success.... I've used Nottingham both times,and the first batch (which was better) used mt hood as a sub for crystal (couldn't get crystal) ..

I've really been enjoying Founders AD Ipa lately and wanted to make an attempt to brew this as well on my new system. Curious if anyone has done a side by side tasting with the most recent recipe and really noted how close we're getting on this.

I've got the following grain bill drawn up for a 10g batch right now, Planning on WLP862 for the yeast with a starter. Wouldn't mind getting it up around 4.8% if possible, so I may still tweak the grains a bit. But any thoughts from you guys that have made this would be appreciated.

Grains:
13# 8oz Briess 2-row
2# 4oz Briess Caramel 20L
1# 8oz flaked oats
8oz Briess Red Wheat

Hop Schedule (boil):
.6 oz Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
.42 oz Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min

1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
1 oz Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
1 oz Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min

1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
1 oz Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Hop Schedule (Ferment) 7day:
1 oz Simcoe 14.1AA
1 oz Amarillo 8.6AA
1 oz Crystal 3.4AA

Cut the crystal hops down our it will taste too soapy. You have 3oz total crystal hops at the end (flavor/aroma/dry). I would go with 1 oz total and work back up from there. Otherwise it should be close.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Cut the crystal hops down our it will taste too soapy. You have 3oz total crystal hops at the end (flavor/aroma/dry). I would go with 1 oz total and work back up from there. Otherwise it should be close.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

any thoughts on replacing with another variety, or should i just axe all but an ounce? Also, should that remaining ounce be used in the dryhop only to avoid extracting that soapy flavor?

any thoughts on replacing with another variety, or should i just axe all but an ounce? Also, should that remaining ounce be used in the dryhop only to avoid extracting that soapy flavor?

I would probably do 1/3oz crystal at 20min/5min/dryhop for a total of 1oz. you could sub it for something else and make a slightly different (maybe better) near cloned beer, but I think the flavor profile is a little too dependent on the crystal to remove it entirely. Mt. Hood is a nice alternative though (someone else suggested this and I recently used it in a different beer).

Once we get this all the way cloned (i'll do more batches this summer) i'll mess with some variants like adding rye, subbing mt hood, and dryhopping with citra because they all sound delicious in this recipe.

I kinda went off the beaten path on this receipe a bit, modified, I ended up adding corn maize and oats, a bunch of 2-row, and citra, amarillo, and simcoe. I didn't end up doing any crystal in here, although when I grabbed another 12 pack at the grocery, I can taste a bit of that soap-described flavor in the production stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is in there.

Mine ended up coming in at about 52ibu, and a bit higher OG 1.053 (It'll probably end up around 5.1%)

Good starting ideas here, I'll be interested to hear more feedback. Mine should be ready in about 2 more weeks.

I brewed this up in early April and we are ripping through the keg now! I dry hoped in the keg as it was carbing up and really like how that worked out. Despite being very drinkable, it smells and tastes like a fruity american IPA. Great stuff! Thanks for the recipe, here is what I did-

OG 1.040
FG 1.009

74% Maris Otter
10% Crystal 15L
8% Flaked Oats
5% Flaked Wheat
3% Acid Malt

0.3 oz Crystal 60 min
0.5 oz Simcoe 60 min

0.5 oz Amarillo, Crystal, and Simcoe @ 20
0.5 oz Amarillo and Crystal @ 5

0.5 oz Amarillo, Crystal, and Simcoe dry hop

Mash 154 -> 150 (Batch Sparge)

Wyeast 1272 @ 67 x ~3 weeks

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

Cheers :mug:

I brewed this exact recipe about a month ago and did a side by side over the weekend. Mine is on the right. This was the closest I've gotten a clone to taste like the commercial version.:rockin: Thanks for the recipe Brewski!

adipa.jpg

DwDrummer
Happy you are enjoying the recipe. Your beer looks great. Any thoughts on improving it?

:mug:
Brewski

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just to note, the guys at Founders talked about All Day extensively at NHC.

It's all Simcoe and Amarillo with 7 different additions throughout the process including a FWH and mash hop. No 60 min bittering addition.

It's also 50% Rahr 2 row, 20% flaked oats, and then 5 other grains. Only other confirmed was Simpsons crystal malt, but no color or amount was given. My thoughts are that there's some very light crystal with touch of rye and carapils. I wouldn't be surprised to find it's about 10% Vienna as well.

Also, they confirmed using 1056.

DwDrummer
Happy you are enjoying the recipe. Your beer looks great. Any thoughts on improving it?

:mug:
Brewski

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Honestly I wouldn't change anything because it turned out to be one of the best beers I've made. Was my brew dead on to Founders? No. Was it really close? Yes. Was it a great beer? Yes.

Perhaps someone would like to take this recipe and make some adjustments based on the info from dblab33 above and see what results they get.

This information was on the Founder's Blog

"A description. The beer you’ve been waiting for. Keeping your taste satisfied while keeping your senses sharp. An all-day IPA naturally brewed with a complex array of malts, grains, and hops. Perfectly balanced for aggressive aromatics, moderate bitterness and a remarkably clean finish. It’s the perfect companion for tall tales around the bonfire, working around the yard, or introducing great craft beer to your Uncle Ernie and Aunt Claudia.

The stats. 4.7% ABV, 42 IBUs, 6 SRM

Tasting notes. Fresh and hoppy, tropical fruits, oats and wheat.

Ingredients. Three varieties of malts, Simcoe and Amarillo hops (among others).

The accolades. Won a silver medal at the 2010 GABF"

well this is interesting. sounds like the recipe has changed a bit since it was first released...

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers :mug:

Is this version still the reigning champion of the clone? I LOVE this beer

It needs some updates based on info from the brewery, but this is a pretty close beer and tastes good.

Thanks for great work Brewski09 and others! Founders All Day tasted so good to me when I first had it that I stopped brewing about a year ago- I was like why bother? Lol! Seeing this clone recipe has inspired me to get back and get a batch going soon. Cheers!

Thanks for great work Brewski09 and others! Founders All Day tasted so good to me when I first had it that I stopped brewing about a year ago- I was like why bother? Lol! Seeing this clone recipe has inspired me to get back and get a batch going soon. Cheers!

I quite for the same reason for a long time, a long time ago, actually.

I had my first all day IPA on tap yesterday. I'm brewing my first attempt at Fat Head's Summertime Daydream session IPA today. They are quite similar yet different. Simcoe and Citra in both. Light malt bills. I find the fat heads drier, less malty. The fat heads is also much more bitter with less hop flavor. Founders has a richer, slightly so, malt profile. And the hops come through with much more flavor on the Founders (and can certainly agree with the post about there being lot of hop additions through the whole boil). They're like sisters how similar yet distinguishably different they are. Both are nice, depending on what you like. I'd drink the heck out of either.

Great beer!

I quite for the same reason for a long time, a long time ago, actually.

I had my first all day IPA on tap yesterday. I'm brewing my first attempt at Fat Head's Summertime Daydream session IPA today. They are quite similar yet different. Simcoe and Citra in both. Light malt bills. I find the fat heads drier, less malty. The fat heads is also much more bitter with less hop flavor. Founders has a richer, slightly so, malt profile. And the hops come through with much more flavor on the Founders (and can certainly agree with the post about there being lot of hop additions through the whole boil). They're like sisters how similar yet distinguishably different they are. Both are nice, depending on what you like. I'd drink the heck out of either.

Great beer!

You mind sharing that recipe for the Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream?

Guys, your advice please. I've written out all of my (noob) instructions for the brew to include making the neccassary changes from grain to extract/hop additions etc. Could you have a look at my process and see if it looks sound:

Start:
1. Heat 6 gallons of water to 68c
2. Steep 500g of carahell for 30 minutes (maintaining temperature)
3. Bring to boil
4. Add 2kg of light DME (stir in)

Hop additions & finings:
1. Hop add 60min left: 4g Mount Hood leaf
2. Hop add 60min left: 10g Simcoe leaf
3. Hop add 20min left: 18g Amarillo pellet
4. Hop add 20min left: 10g Mount Hood leaf
5. Hop add 20min left: 16g Simcoe leaf
6. Whirfloc tablet 10mins left
7. Hop add 5min left: 18g Amarillo pellet
8. Hop add 5min left: 7g Mount Hood leaf

Finish:
1. Cool to 20c
2. Aerate the wort
3. Pitch WLP0001 yeast
4. Airlock with vodka and leave to ferment 14 days

Dry Hop for 7 days (in primary after 14 days):
1. 14g Simcoe leaf
2. 20g Amarillo pellet
3. 8g Mount Hood

Bottling:
1. Boil 2 litres of water with 127g of table sugar or 187g of DME (check on day)
2. Cool, and add to bottling bucket
3. Transfer beer to bottling bucket, then bottle
4. Leave to condition in warm room for 2 weeks
5. Leave in fridge for few days
6. Open and drink the suckers!

Your process looks fine. You would end up with a pretty solid beer. Things that might make it better: adding a chunk of your extract at the end of the boil, moving your five-minute hops to flameout, starting your dry hop just after fermentation completes (5-7 days), and dry hopping for maybe 3 to 4 days instead of entire week. The benefits are a lighter crisper profile from the late extract addition, more flavor and aroma from your flameout addition, and shortening your time to glass, thus increasing the freshness of your hop character. That said, if this is one of your first few batches, I would just go for it as is and and investigate those changes later.

Mighty kind of you to pass on your knowledge tagz :)
Thanks a million. How much DME should I add late, and when do you think I should add it? Also, with the dry hop, would you suggest to bottle straight after ie; 2 weeks Primary? Brewing from Carlow, Ireland how about you?

I'm not used to DME in kg. mine comes by the pound. Simple rule of thumb is to split half and half though (1kg at the beginning and 1kg at the end) so you don't mess with hop utilization too much (the lower the gravity the higher AA extraction and conversion). I like moving the hops to flameout too, maybe even increasing them at flameout for future batches.

Plan your dryhop for 3-4 days before you can bottle. If that is 10 days after brewing or 21 days it won't matter too much (I do work to get bottled before 21 days on my happier brews because I feel they are fresher that way, but my friends haven't noticed). I don't like to go beyond 5 days max dryhopping because I think it gets harsh. Do some experiments on it for yourself though as every system and every palate is different b

I don't know the legalities of posting their exact recipe, but I will post:
2 Row, Crystal 20, Red Wheat, Flaked Oats and Maize, Rye Malt
Simcoe, Amarillo in the boil
Simcoe, Amarillo, Crystal in the dry hop

Interesting...I just got this same kit and I have Apollo and Amarillo in the boil and Apollo, Amarillo, Crystal in the dry hop.

After loading it into BeerSmith my IBU's are around 75. Something doesn't seem right...

Interesting...I just got this same kit and I have Apollo and Amarillo in the boil and Apollo, Amarillo, Crystal in the dry hop.

After loading it into BeerSmith my IBU's are around 75. Something doesn't seem right...

Simcoe is short and in high demand I hear. May have subbed for something more plentiful or cost effective for them.

UPDATED: Using Amarillo hops

I'm thinking its just base malt with some light caramels for a touch of color.

single infusion mash with 75% efficiency. SG=1.048 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=42.1 using Rager. ABV clocks in between 4.4% and 4.8% depending on the yeast strain used.

I had always believed that knowing the OG and FG really pinned down the ABV closely. I know that there are a few formulas out there for estimating ABV based on OG and FG, but I didn't know about this effect of the yeast. So if you have a batch of wort at OG 1.048, split it between two different yeasts, and both yeasts ferment down to 1.012, then it's possible that one is 4.4% and the other is 4.8%?

Since this is a big gap (0.4/4.4 is almost 10%) are there any resources out there explaining which yeasts create more alcohol than others after accounting for the original and final gravities? Should all of the ABVs that homebrewers calculate, using hydrometers, be interpreted with the caveat of "+/- 10%"? Using my example above, can we conclude that the yeast that was used for the 4.4% beer made more non-alcohol byproducts? Can someone help me understand this better? thanks a ton!

Back