Found yeast packet in garage.....use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyDude

Reaction score
Was organizing garage and found a packet of Fermenitis safale us-05 dry ale yeast that never made it into the fridge. I always store yeast packets in fridge as the brew stores do too, so wondering if this unrefridgerated packet is still good or may produce off flavors.

Directions say store cool and dry. The garage is dry but not exactly cool....doesn't get roasting hot in there either... I'm guessing it may get into the 70s at the warmest times of day.

Expiration date on packet is in another 10 months.

Use it?

It's likely just going to be weak. I'm no yeast expert but I'd buy an extra packet for a backup and use that old packet to make a good starter. If the starter goes as expected then I'd use it, other wise make another with the fresh pack. Or you could toss it and treat it as a $3.95 lesson.

David

At the very least, you can throw it in the boil at 10 minutes left to give the live yeast you pitch later something else to eat other than maltose & such.

I think I'll save it for a low cost cider... thanks for the input. Definitely don't want to blow it on a planned out brew.

Chuck it out. $4 for a new one to replace one you didn't know you had.

My garage gets into the 100's. Your's must be climate controlled. 70's! I'm jealous

I wouldn't even consider it. Yeast is cheap, relative to the many hours it takes to brew.

It's dry yeast. My local brew supply shop never keeps them cold. As for if you can still use it. What does the exp date say? I'd go off that. They are good for up 4 years after packaging. I'd add it to a cup of water with boiled sugar in it. To see if its still active and a live

If you find yeast (or anything else), you have to use it, don't you? I don't understand this idea of just throwing away something you found. You FOUND it! It would be wrong to waste something you found. Otherwise, why find it? I think you will find I'm right about this, but if not, just forget I said anything.

BTW, the other day I dropped something between my car seat and console and had to move the seat all the way up to get it. In the process, I found a wrinkled mass of brownish grey shtuff stuck on the carpet under there. It was about the size of a melted tennis ball. It looked like a dog crapped there during the last ice age. It was stuck hard, but I managed to rip it loose. I smelled it, of course, and it wasn't that bad. It "may" have had some sort of fruit sticker on it, or once did during biblical times. Obviously, it will be prominently featured in my next brew. After all, I FOUND it.

Reaper made his Mild Ale with long expired Nottingham. He won a contest with it so it can't be too bad. Perhaps use it with a darker beer where off flavours are more easily considered "complexity".

I used 05 1 year past the date. Go for it. Hydrate as usual and ferment.

Latest posts

Back