Found an old extract kit, trash it or brew it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with this old extract kit?

• Trash it!

• Brew it with old yeast.

• Brew it with new yeast.

• Other recommendations...

Results are only viewable after voting.

HomebrewMTB

Reaction score
I found a B3 Stout extract kit (with specialty grains) that I bought a while back but never got around to brewing. It's been about 2.5-3 years. Will it taste stale if I brew it or will it still make good beer? How about the yeast? There are two packs of S-04. Not trying to be cheap but if they would still work, I'd like to use them. Waste not want not.

What do you say?

Hell yeah, brew it. What do you have to lose? You'll have an idea about the taste after fermentation and you'll know if you should dump or proceed to bottle/keg.

Yup - brew away. If it sucks you're out, what, a few gallons of water and some propane?

get new specialty grains if they arent vacuum packed. the LME might be a bit stale. i personally would just do it anyways.

Just make a starter for the old yeast. I used a cooper's can/yeast sachet from '09. The starter took 3.5 hours to wake'em up,& get to multiplying enough to get going very quick & clean. The ale came out great!
We'll be drinking it while brewing on National Home Brew day Saturday.

I'll give it whirl and I think I'll try the old yeast too. I'll add fresh if it gets stuck. Thanks for the opinions.

Cheers!
:mug:

Back