found a cider i want to turn hard... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlJamNoCode

Reaction score
Today I found a cider I really enjoy the taste of. Its slightly sweet, very smooth, with a bit of cinnamon/spice in the background. I'm hoping to use this as a base for a hard cider, but I've never made a hard cider before.

I'm looking for a yeast strain and/or other ingredients that would be somewhat transparent or at least not totally transform the flavor of the cider. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Well, the sweetness you taste is from the sugar in the cider. When you ferment it the yeast will eat up that sugar. So, there's no yeast out there that will ferment what you have without changing it.

I could have worded this a little better... I know the sugar will be fermented, but I also know that some yeasts introduce new flavors to the beer/cider. I'm looking for something that won't introduce any banana/clove/citrus flavors, but flavors that are more along the traditional lines of cider (sweet/apple/spice/cinnamon)

Pearl,
I used White Labs English Cider Yeast in second batch that I am now sampling. I don't really detect any flavor from it all in the finished product. Between sweet and dry I would rate it in the middle of those. I used some organic cider from Santa Cruz which was not a real sweet type, unfiltered. The last couple batches I am using Red Star Montrachet-dry yeast you mix. It seems to come out a bit sweeter with this one. Best of brewing. I am sure you will find a good combination.

Back