Fortune Cookie Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmonstar

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum, so please forgive me if I sound slightly brew-retard. I have done 7 brews so far and have made progress each time! I've only done one clone and the rest have been my own recipes. I love the aspect of creativity involved in brewing, doing a sweet potato pumpkin ale, a peanut brown ale, and now I have plans to make an Asian style beer that hopefully will taste like a fortune cookie.

Here is my grain bill for a 3 gallon batch:

3.5 lbs Pilsner.
.5 lbs Flaked Rice
.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
.25 lbs Honey Malt
.125 lbs Acid Malt
.125 Carafoam

75 Minute Boil:

60 - .3 lb Rice Extract Syrup
45 - .3 oz Spalter, .2 Sorachi Ace
5 - .5 oz Spalter, .5 Sorachi Ace
Flameout - .3 lb Lactose

I want to add 1 full vanilla bean, split long-ways, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and a 1/4 tsp of almond extract to secondary. I am also considering adding 1/8 tsp lemon extract to the secondary.

Mash in a bag: 125 for 15 mins, 148 for 75 mins, sparge at 170

Primary: 7 days at ~70 deg
Secondary: 14 days at ~30 deg
Bottle condition: 3 weeks ~70 deg

I am planning on US 05 right now for yeast but am open to liquid yeast ideas. I have only used liquid yeast once so don't have much experience with them.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

I'm not familiar enough with a few of the malts to give an overall recipe critique but if you haven't used the lemon extract before I would probably leave it out. Maybe not all brands are the same but I added a little to half a batch of wheat last summer and it killed the head retention completely. The beer ended carbonated but looked rediculous and lifeless with no head. If you have used that particular extract and had no issues then I'd be interested to know the brand for future brews!

Thanks Mobrewdude for the heads up. Maybe I'll try lemon peel in secondary instead.

Back