Fort Collins CO water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginCO

Reaction score
Here is my water report from Fort Collins, CO.

I have been using this water, undiluted, and then adjusting per the stickied primer thread. My beers have gotten better since following the primer, but I still think they could be better.

Based on this, should I be diluting a bit with RO water?

Cheers :mug:

pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 76
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.13
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.2 / 1.1

(ppm)
Sodium, Na 3
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 17
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 51
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 4
Chloride, Cl 3
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 44
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 36
Total Phosphorus, P 0.94
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

The usual (but not always) villain is alkalinity. Yours is fairly modest at 36 but a 1:1 dilution would for sure knock it out of contention. I doubt doing that would make much difference but you won't know for sure unless you try it.

Thanks, the alkalinity was right at the level you suggest as a limit for whether RO water is needed. I think I'll try a 1:1 dillution for my next brew and see how it turns out.

I believe most or all of the breweries in Fort Collins use the municipal water supply. I bet if you gave a few a ring they would give you some pointers on treating the water.

Then promptly send me some bottles of Funkwerks and Crooked Stave!!! =p

There is no need to dilute that water with RO. The alkalinity is not nearly high enough to warrant that. And since the alkalinity is quite modest, the amount of acid dosage to reduce the alkalinity is also low. An acid addition also preserves what little calcium there is in that water. Bru'n Water has calculators for acid addition.

Dosing the water with either calcium chloride or gypsum or both can boost the calcium content and add which ever flavor ion you prefer in your beer.

Back