Formulating a keg plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
I decided I am going to deploy a 4 keg system. I plan on only buying 1, 2.5 gallon torpedo keg for now

For financial reasons I was going to get a 4 way splitter with the handle to turn them on and off and have individual regulators

My first question is if i get that splitter what regualtor should i get. I was hoping to get 1 that sits on the keg that i can clamp the line from the spitter on to it.

Any suggestions?

First peice if the puzzle, 5# co2 canister, filled, $90.10

Next ill order a keg and a regulator.

Attachments

• 20220929_110921.jpg
    20220929_110921.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Next step on order just need to figure out how i am going to connect and regulate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929_115704.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929_115704.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
What’s the reason for the individual regulators? Do you need to run each keg at different psi? If not you might get a single regulator and a 4 way distribution block with individual ball valves

What’s the reason for the individual regulators? Do you need to run each keg at different psi? If not you might get a single regulator and a 4 way distribution block with individual ball valves
I guess i dont need 4 regulators most of the beer i make is ales.

This is where I've been beating myself over. I dont know what to get next.

I am thinking of the 4 way block. A single regulator now and i gues the tubing to connect it all.

So many options i cant figure out the right thing

Yeah there are a lot of options and different budget levels. Easiest would be a single regulator on the gas tank (which will probably come with a gas like to ball lock connector) and then a picnic tap. That will get you going with one keg and will all be stuff you can use later as you build out your system.

Yeah there are a lot of options and different budget levels. Easiest would be a single regulator on the gas tank (which will probably come with a gas like to ball lock connector) and then a picnic tap. That will get you going with one keg and will all be stuff you can use later as you build out your system.
Yeah i ordered the regulator, and picnic tap. Now i just need to tube to go from regulator to the keg.

I feel like a kid in a candy store that only has $5 to spend and want make sure i get the right stuff

I guess the next step up from there would be using the single regulator to a 4 way distribution block, with separate gas lines each with a ball lock connector on the end. And then serving lines out from each keg.
One more step up would be a 4 way secondary regulator set up to individually change the pressure on your different kegs. More $$ but gives you more control.
Is this for a keezer? How will you be serving? Any space or budget constraints?

I guess the next step up from there would be using the single regulator to a 4 way distribution block, with separate gas lines each with a ball lock connector on the end. And then serving lines out from each keg.
One more step up would be a 4 way secondary regulator set up to individually change the pressure on your different kegs. More $$ but gives you more control.
Is this for a keezer? How will you be serving? Any space or budget constraints?
Right now i have a chest freezer with a temp controller on it. So keep it around 36°

After i get the first keg, I'll know how much room I'll have for more. Serving will probably just be in a growler to bring upstairs at first eventually putting taps on a collar of some kind

Yeah i ordered the regulator, and picnic tap. Now i just need to tube to go from regulator to the keg.

I feel like a kid in a candy store that only has $5 to spend and want make sure i get the right stuff
Haha that’s the fun part! Now that you’ve got the basics covered you can take some time to figure out a plan based on how you intend to use your system and how much flexibility you think you will really need.

If you can, buy things that you can reuse as your system grows. If you get too much specialized stuff and don’t use it, it will just wind up in the big box of expensive junk that we all have in the closet.

Got these ordered now. I think all i need is the line to hook up the co2 to the keg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929_123928.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929_123928.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0
And with this I think I'm good for now. Thanks for letting me talk this out 🤪🤪

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929_125032.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929_125032.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 0
Now that I thought about it, the 4 regulators was so i can force carb 1 while serving the others.

I'll have to save for the 4 way controller then lol

Back to doing doordash on the weekend lol

Last edited:
Just a thought but if you’re going to force carb with the set it and forgot it method then you would do that at the same pressure as the serving pressure. If you’re going to do the shake method to force carb, you would probably be doing it outside of the kegerator in a short time, in which case you could probably use your single regulator.
Not that getting multiple regulators is a bad thing, it’s just not strictly necessary, at least at the beginning IMO.

Now that I thought about it, the 4 regulators was so i can force carb 1 while serving the others.

that's burst carb, not force carb...and you'd just need something like i have for that...

https://homebrewing.org/products/ta...F-N1uqnNxc20BBwqCn8BOkCXvc7BDIGBoCXxkQAvD_BwE
and all's not lost if you have a single reg one ordered already, you can get this...

https://www.kegoutlet.com/taprite-b...wcpwx40uXqV16IYFf1YMJdi3wUuC8PwBoCzk0QAvD_BwE
edit: oh, and i should say you're going to need some of these for those flare QDs...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/k...yhTP5mvkY1mbjg3z4D4wiP_afUyCBu4hoCS4MQAvD_BwE
with different sized barbs for gas and beer line sizes....

Last edited:
I have a single body regulator screwed on to my co2 tank outside the fridge feeding a 4-way manifold on the inside to feed 4 kegs.
I probably could have engineered it more but that would only mean more parts that may break or malfunction so I decided to go the KISS way...

I am going to pause myself a minute here. I canceled what I ordered from amazon. I am going to call morebeer today and see if i can swap out the flair connectors for barbed.

I am trying to rush thisfor my next batch the will be ready in about 10 days.

I decided not to worry it will be ready for the next one

I'm going to have to step back once again. Slow down and order the right stuff

I am going back to the 4 way splitter thing. I'll probably buy a second keg and get the right connectors this time. And get a good regulator.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be asking more questions soon enough

I think I inderstand what I did wrong

I bought flaired connectors to go ON TOP OF the ball lock connector thats on the keg already when all i needed was a co2 tube with a ball lock connector that i clamp on to the regulator. And a picnic tap with a ball lock connector as well

That sound right? I'll know for sure when the keg gets here tomorrow

Sorry about the flipping back and forth and my over all confusion....I blame the covid shot and boosters for diminishing my thought processes lol

Not getting political just being funny

I'm a little late to the party here, but here's a few things to add for your CO2 distribution. I have a 6-way CO2 manifold connected to a twenty pound cylinder with regulator. I use that for my serving kegs; three on tap and the other three under pressure and carbonating in my cooler. I have a second CO2 cylinder with regulator just to pressure kegs after filling them.

Most regulators and distribution blocks have a check valve at the shutoff valves. Make sure you have one on yours. You don't want over pressurized kegs pushing beer up the CO2 line into your regulator. As an added layer of security, on my system, I have inline CO2 check valves at each keg QD. They screw on to the QD's with the same thread. I tried to find where I bought mine but they look like the attached picture. I like them as they will save my CO2 lines to and if they fail, I still have check valves at the distribution block and regulator.

Hope this helps setting up your system!

1664547881928.png

I'm a little late to the party here, but here's a few things to add for your CO2 distribution. I have a 6-way CO2 manifold connected to a twenty pound cylinder with regulator. I use that for my serving kegs; three on tap and the other three under pressure and carbonating in my cooler. I have a second CO2 cylinder with regulator just to pressure kegs after filling them.

Most regulators and distribution blocks have a check valve at the shutoff valves. Make sure you have one on yours. You don't want over pressurized kegs pushing beer up the CO2 line into your regulator. As an added layer of security, on my system, I have inline CO2 check valves at each keg QD. They screw on to the QD's with the same thread. I tried to find where I bought mine but they look like the attached picture. I like them as they will save my CO2 lines to and if they fail, I still have check valves at the distribution block and regulator.

Hope this helps setting up your system!

View attachment 782377
I'm going to get a 4 way or more but right now, 1 keg, 1 connector (said ina. King Arthur from excaliber tone)

I'm going to get a 4 way or more but right now, 1 keg, 1 connector (said ina. King Arthur from excaliber tone)
Most of us tip toe into buying equipment, everything is so darn expensive. I started out just like you, 25+ years ago. The system I built many years ago is still serving me fine. Buy good quality items when you can afford them and you'll be rewarded with a good investment. Items on the CO2 side don't need replacing like the beer side. I buy beer line in bulk as I know I'll be replacing it over time. Watch for savings like that to keep your costs down. Also keep tabs with your friends that brew to buy in bulk together or trade items.

Above all - Happy Brewing!

Do yourself a favor and look into using EVA barrier lines and slip lock fittings (John Guest or Skark Bite) . They are inexpensive, no tools required and applications are virtually unlimited. You can make multiple feeds from one regulator using tees, valves etc. Check out Morebeer.com in their kegging section. Unlimited possibilities at reasonable prices.

Cheers and happy brewing.

Do yourself a favor and look into using EVA barrier lines and slip lock fittings (John Guest or Skark Bite) . They are inexpensive, no tools required and applications are virtually unlimited. You can make multiple feeds from one regulator using tees, valves etc. Check out Morebeer.com in their kegging section. Unlimited possibilities at reasonable prices.

Cheers and happy brewing.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to look at beer lines for my set up. when it comes time to change them.

Jist saying thanks for the advice. I got my keg and co2 setup and tested it with water. Seems to be holding up. Sometime this weekend I'll be filling it with beer.

Is there a trick to these "quick release" connectors? They are hard as hell to get iff the keg lol

Attachments

• 20221005_170421.jpg
    20221005_170421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jist saying thanks for the advice. I got my keg and co2 setup and tested it with water. Seems to be holding up. Sometime this weekend I'll be filling it with beer.

Is there a trick to these "quick release" connectors? They are hard as hell to get iff the keg lol
Nice set up. You're gonna love it. A tiny smear of beer lube or simple petroleum jelly to the O rings will help greatly. Only rub it on the O rings and you'll be a happy tapper.

Yes... get CMB connectors. Your gas connector looks white (like the cheap ones) and not grey (like the nice ones made by CMB) I've had stuck, leaking, and falling apart off-brand ones, but never a problem with CMB. A lot of vendors don't specify make of connector and those that carry both will often charge a dollar more for CMB's, but worth it for me.

Yes... get CMB connectors. Your gas connector looks white (like the cheap ones) and not grey (like the nice ones made by CMB) I've had stuck, leaking, and falling apart off-brand ones, but never a problem with CMB. A lot of vendors don't specify make of connector and those that carry both will often charge a dollar more for CMB's, but worth it for me.
I'll look for those once i feel comfortable with my setup. I have 1 more keg coming this week and a 3rd by Christmas fun time indeed

I ordered some metal barbed qd connectors to replace the plastic ones.

When I first ordered the keg for some reason I ordered the flaired ones as someibe pointed out i would still need another connector to connect to them. Those are going back and have ordered the, what I hope, no I'm sure, I think, are the correct ones. I can clamp down the hoses right on the disconnects

Stupid hobby, going to have to sell off some old hobby things to pay for new hobby things. Lol

I ordered some metal barbed qd connectors to replace the plastic ones.

When I first ordered the keg for some reason I ordered the flaired ones as someibe pointed out i would still need another connector to connect to them. Those are going back and have ordered the, what I hope, no I'm sure, I think, are the correct ones. I can clamp down the hoses right on the disconnects

Stupid hobby, going to have to sell off some old hobby things to pay for new hobby things. Lol
I use the threaded QD's as I can remove the hose easier for flushing out the lines. I do have a few of the barbed ones, like on my keg washer system. So, keeping the barbed ones do have other uses in the brewery. With the flared ones you do have extra parts and extra costs but being able to remove them easier makes up for it. I keep a few hoses with the ends for transfer hoses like filling from one keg to another.

Just so it's clear, these are the flared fittings with the barbed ends to connect to your hose. "Black" is Beer, "Grey" is gas. If you get a QD on the wrong keg post, you'll have a difficult time getting it off, even with keg lube.

1665081988748.png

I use the threaded QD's as I can remove the hose easier for flushing out the lines. I do have a few of the barbed ones, like on my keg washer system. So, keeping the barbed ones do have other uses in the brewery. With the flared ones you do have extra parts and extra costs but being able to remove them easier makes up for it. I keep a few hoses with the ends for transfer hoses like filling from one keg to another.

Just so it's clear, these are the flared fittings with the barbed ends to connect to your hose. "Black" is Beer, "Grey" is gas. If you get a QD on the wrong keg post, you'll have a difficult time getting it off, even with keg lube.

View attachment 783054
Thanks. Once I get a better understanding of what I am doing, I'm sure I'll see a lot of things i can do differently

It can be an uphill climb but you're on the right site to get lots of ideas and help. I'm sure we all started out the same way. Keep the questions coming and eventually things will fall into place. I've been brewing for a long time and I'm still learning with every brew I do.

I just finished milling 29 pounds of grain for an Amber recipe, Raptor Red. It'll be a ten gallon batch. I brewed it once before, the end of June in fact, wanted to add a little more maltiness to it.

Well frist keg is filled and on co2 for 2 weeks at 12psi

I had ordered the wrong tubung for my 4 way manifold so it will have to wait to get setup. I did make a batch this morning as well so in 2 weeks, I'll have another keg filled and ready to go, and hopefully I'll have all the proper parts to hook up 2 - 4 kegs

Again thanks for all the advice.

Edit - Even if I got soemthing wrong, I am going to stick with it. This was the fastest time i spent bottling ever and i aint going back easily

Attachments

• 20221009_120504.jpg
    20221009_120504.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Edit - Even if I got soemthing wrong, I am going to stick with it. This was the fastest time i spent bottling ever and i aint going back easily
When I first started using kegs I was the same; I gave all of my bottles away. Over the years I have accumulated some bottles but only on a rare occasion will I actually fill them. I like the flip top bottles for wine or mead plus they are nice to give away a special brew. You won't be disappointed filling a keg or two over the bottling fun.

Congratulations!

Might I suggest a rubber mat in the bottom of your beer cooler? You can pick up 12x12 mats at a home improvement store, then cut them to size.

Back