Forgotten Whirlpool Addition: Hop Tea or Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpcvsam

Reaction score
Hi all...managed to forget 1.5 oz of hops for a DNEIPA for the last 20 min of whirlpool (I already put in the first 1.5 @ the 40 min mark). I had already dropped the yeast in by the time I discovered it. I already have about 3 oz lined up for dry hopping, so I'm debating hop tea after a few days to get the whirlpool bittering effect (I had calculated about 12 IBUs would be produced more or less by the whirlpool)....or just tossing them in with the dry hops. I was aiming for 38 IBUs so now looking @ 26...kind of lower than I wanted? Has anyone had the joy of doing this? Kinda of curious but not really stressed about it....it will go in the keg one way or another :)

How big of a batch are you brewing? Most of your favorite commercial 8% NEIPAS would have the equivalent of 10-16oz of DH in a 5 gallon batch. Some
Would probably go as high as 20oz.

Dry hops have a much larger impact on the “hoppiness” of the final beer as compared to WP additions. Plus you’ll get bitterness pickup from dry hopping. IBUs are almost a worthless measurement in heavily dry hopped beers.

3oz in a 5 gallon batch is not near enough for a beer of this style. That’s a Blonde Ale dry hopping amount. 8oz would be minimum for a double IPA if you’re attempting to brew anything like what you can buy commercially.

Don’t bother with the hop tea.

Just up the dry hopping. You’ll get bitterness pickup from the DH.

Back