Forgotten Fast Food Favorites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
The McChikenator thread got me nostalgic for some fast food items I've enjoyed that are no longer with us, or distribution is isolated(see #3).

1. Burger Buddies - from Burger King, two little cheese bugers 'stuck' together on one bun - like the figure "8" from above.
2. Sante Fe Chalupa - from Taco Bell , corn/black bean relish and a 'special' sauce they no longer carry on anything.
3. Chili Cheese Burrito - also Taco Bell, at a stop in Savannah Georgia a couple years ago they had this elusive burrito, but they stopped serving it in FL a looong time ago(by my 26 year-old standards). It's what it sounds like, chili and cheese with onions in a shell. High school cafeteria sold these and got me hooked.

If I had to bring one back it would be #2, I loved those things! I don't eat fast food that often, but it has its place. My favorite meal is probably Vietnamese summer rolls and pho, if I had to eat one meal for the rest of my life that would be it. But late night, or on the road, fast food has a place in my stomach. And to all those that think McD's and the like are evil, I say this: they only sell what we choose to buy.

So, what are your favorites that are no longer available?

I read a blog post a few weeks ago about the 10 Worst Items on fast food and one listed there was the Arch Delux from McDonalds. Fine... But I liked it. :)

Not exactly on topic, but am I the only one who HATES that Taco Bell puts a ton of good things on their "special" menu to have them ripped away and never return? I thought the Cheesy Beefy Melt was one of the best menu items AT Taco Bell. :( At least McDonalds is routine. :p Everyone knows the McRib will be back some time in a year...

EDIT: Didn't see Bird's post... So I guess ALMOST everyone knows it comes back each year. :p

the_bird said:
Can you still get the McRib? I used to love the McRib.
They have em here in the Midwest for a limited time (again).

They go away. They make a breif appearance and everyone lines up.

Don't they do that up "there"? Maybe cuz St. Louis is ranked one of the top-5 "fat" cities in the US...they figured it's easy pickins.

H. Salt's cole slaw. I used to buy a two piece dinner and an extra pint of slaw. Last time I had it, it was really bad. The chain is about dead.

Oh yeah, this thread is right up my alley!

1. Crinkle fries from Carl's Jr.
2. "Wild" sauce from Taco Bell.
3. (not really 'fast food' per se, but sadly missed) The Silver Goblet Milkshake from Bob's Big Boy. It was real with the consistency of butter and you ate it with a spoon.

Why must they change the things we love?

:drunk:

Hell yeah on the Chili Cheese Burrito from Taco Bell. Those things ruled!!
Luckily they have the 1/ 2 pound Potato and Beef Burrito. They taste even better the next day after you microwave them. I guess they need to age a little, just like a fine wine.:D

Spyk'd said:
1. Crinkle fries from Carl's Jr.
2. "Wild" sauce from Taco Bell.
3. (not really 'fast food' per se, but sadly missed) The Silver Goblet Milkshake from Bob's Big Boy. It was real with the consistency of butter and you ate it with a spoon.

Why must they change the things we love?

They still have Wild sauce here in Chicago.

I miss the Cheddar Melt (or whatever the hell it was called) from McD's.

The Chilli Cheese Burito was the shiz! I remember when they use to call them 'Chilitos'.

The McRibb always reminded me of the simpsons Requium of a Dream episode where crusty burger had to quit selling their rib sandwich because a certain insect went extinct.

I'm lucky...the TB by my house here in Madison still serves the Chilli Cheese Burrito, I consider myself lucky. I too miss the Sante Fe.

the_bird said:
Can you still get the McRib? I used to love the McRib.

You stole mine, damnit! They usually bring it back about this time of year, but I haven't seen it avaiable around here yet.

Chili Cheese Burritos are still available at Taco Bell here. I miss the Rancho Steak Burrito that they used to have.

We had a burger joint near where I grew up that had a burger with 21 toppings. It was called the Paul Bunyon - I loved that thing! As luck would have it, I happened to stop in and get one on their last day before they lost their lease.

McRib, as others have mentioned, is now a seasonal - but I think they're keeping it to the midwest too. All of the McD's here either just got rid of the McRib or they are getting rid of the last of them. I'm heading over to check in a minute (I need lunch).

We have TB Chili-Cheese burrito year-round, but it's not on any of the menus, you just have to order it.

I'm glad they made the BK Italian Chicken Sandwich a seasonal, that thing is delicious. The BK Texas Whopper (Jalapeño peppers, cheese, bacon, mustard replacing the ketchup) was really good too, I ate the hell out of those while they had 'em. I miss the BK Rodeo burger too.

Chriso said:
I miss the BK Rodeo burger too.

At least in Virginia (The closes Burger King to me now charges $9 for a double Whopper meal so I don't eat BK in Maryland) the Rodeo burger is on the "value" menu all the time.

Virtuous said:
The Chilli Cheese Burito was the shiz! I remember when they use to call them 'Chilitos'.

I forgot that, that was what they called them. :mug:

Does anyone remember when Wendy's had the salad/mexican/italian/etc all you can eat bar? Maybe they're still around in some areas, but I used to get that as a kid whenever I went to Wendy's.

Kevin Dean said:
At least in Virginia (The closes Burger King to me now charges $9 for a double Whopper meal so I don't eat BK in Maryland) the Rodeo burger is on the "value" menu all the time.

Yeesh. Double whopper meal is $5.99 here. At least they have 'em somewhere, but that's still too bad 'bout the Rodeo burgers though. Maybe I should just demand they make me one. :D

That's why I loved the rodeo - cheap and tasty!

landhoney said:

Does anyone remember when Wendy's had the salad/mexican/italian/etc all you can eat bar? Maybe they're still around in some areas, but I used to get that as a kid whenever I went to Wendy's.

Yeah, and they use to serve breakfast too

landhoney said:

Damn... I remember them, used to go there all the time, but I was an adult. Thanks for makin' me feel old. I seem to remember them telling me that the wendys that I went too (on northlake blvd, in Lake Park, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens....whichever city it was in....they all come together there) was the first one that had the bar.

Now I live in Port St. Lucie, FL. Months ago, they had an article in the paper that they were gonna build a Sonic Drive In in Jensen Beach. Been waiting months for it, but the ole Pizza hut building is still there. Used to eat at sonic all the time when I was a kid in Liberal, Kansas. Closest one was in Melbourne, FL, 2 hrs away....
Brother has 2 in Savannah.....greedy bastard.

Anyway, while waiting for the one in Jensen, they snuck one in in Ft. Pierce, just 3 exits north of me on I95!!!! This one is probably closer, definetly faster to get to then Jensen....Happy Days are here again!!

Allan

Ok, went to Sonic today. I got a forgotten fast food favorite. Back in the early '80s, they had a breaded steak sandwich.....not on the menu anymore. When I was 16, I worked at the one in Liberal, used to bread them ourselves. The breading was flour, salt, pepper and MSG... don't remember the porportions, but I may have to try to create this at home.

Had a burger, fries and coke. The burger seems to be the same as back in the day, but the fries seem different, the old ones were thinner (not as thin as steak n shake, but thinner than these). These seem to be about like Burger King fries.

Also, back then, if you ordered the fries for "here", they came in a little tray. If you ordered them "to go" they came i a bag.... the bag held more fries, so we always ordered "to go" even if we ate them there in the car. Now they come in a holder like all the other joints, so it doesn't matter. They didn't leave the tray, everything comes in a bag...probably to keep the trays from driving away.

I gotta try the onion rings next time.... used to bread those back in '80 also.

Allan

Not really fast food, technically, but I really miss the Big Boy hamburger. We don't have any more Big Boy's in Wisconsin. The last one I had was 5 years ago in Mackinaw City, Michigan. Do they still have Elias Bros. Big Boys in Michigan?

Anyway, the Big Boy hamburger is a double decker similar to, but much better than, the Big Mac. In fact, since it was around long before the Big Mac, I think Mc D's pretty much stole it from Big Boy. The real thing from Big Boy has 1000 island dressing on it instead of that pukey tasting "special sauce," also no pickles or rehydrated onions. Trust me, it's just a lot better.

Heck, I just remembered another one. Does it seem to everyone that the Quarter Pounder at McDo's taste different than back in the day? I used to crave them back in the day. Nowadays, they fry them in a big George Forman lookin' grill thing. Back in '05 I ate one in the McDo in Manila, Philippines and it tasted exactly like I remembered. I even told the guy there that it was better than the ones in America. They still fry them on a grill, laying in their own grease. Or it may be because it was fresh made. Most folks there order Chicken McDo (Chicken leg, rice and gravy) or the smaller, cheaper burgers. They make the Quarters fresh on order.

My wife still prefers the ChickenJoy at Jolliebee's better than the Chicken McDo at McDo's.

Allan

landhoney said:

Yeah, that was awesome. I would always get chips with chili and cheese sauce. gross but delicious at the same time.

What about Burger King's Meatloaf Sandwich? Must have been the early 90s, my mom was on chemo at the time and would be in bed watching TV a lot. For years after if you asked her if she wanted a Meatloaf Sandwich she would get sick (that and the sight of Mountain Dew).

Beerrific said:
For years after if you asked her if she wanted a Meatloaf Sandwich she would get sick (that and the sight of Mountain Dew).

I can't drink orange soda to this day due to a long night when I was young of dark rum and orange soda...

>hac<

Sonic's chicken fried steak toaster sandwich. This went the way of the Dodo around here, and it seem's sonics quality went with it. Even their Ice Cream sucks now days. Now they're only good for a Cherry Lime-aid or an Ocean Water drink.

Micky Dee's Double Big Mac.

The Big Montana is still available @ Arby's, it's just called the 1/2 lbs Roast Beef (or something along those lines).

A&W drive-ins. Not many around anymore. (Chili Cheese Burger w/bacon, YUM!)

They're probably still available, but I'm 800 miles away so I'll list them here,
1. Deep Fried Chicken Gizzards at Interstate Speedway (Jefferson, SD)
2. Frito Pie at I-30 Speedway in Little Rock, AR

Old school mom and pop greasy spoon resturaunts with the deep fried, breaded, pizza burgers. When I was a kid in Nebraska, you could hit THE resturaunt/diner in most any small town, and order a Pizza Burger. It would always be a processed patty, with Mozz Cheese, pizza sauce, pepperoni, all in breading. You could always depend on it being good at filling a hole and making a turd.

howlinowl said:
Heck, I just remembered another one. Does it seem to everyone that the Quarter Pounder at McDo's taste different than back in the day?

Allan

Wow, thank you for thinking of that. I was beginning to think it was just me and that my tastebuds had changed over time. Mc D's Quarter Pounders do taste different nowadays, and much for the worse if you ask me. I don't know how the cook their stuff these days, but did you ever notice that when you pull up to a Mc D's these days you never smell hamburgers frying? At breadfast time you never smell eggs or bacon cooking either. Does their stuff all just come pre-cooked and they just heat it up somehow? Yecch.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Wow, thank you for thinking of that. I was beginning to think it was just me and that my tastebuds had changed over time. Mc D's Quarter Pounders do taste different nowadays, and much for the worse if you ask me. I don't know how the cook their stuff these days, but did you ever notice that when you pull up to a Mc D's these days you never smell hamburgers frying? At breadfast time you never smell eggs or bacon cooking either. Does their stuff all just come pre-cooked and they just heat it up somehow? Yecch.

This happened when they made them stop using lard. The fries suck now too.

Also, let's talk about size. I remember when a Big Mac was BIG.

Am I crazy or was it me just getting bigger, not the sandwich getting smaller?

This may be painfully obvious as well, but they used to have two kinds of pies, apple AND cherry (filled with LAVA of course!)

:cross:

Jesse17 said:
Oh, I like the McRib too, but they only sell it for a month or so each year. WTF? If it sells, why wouldn't it sell ALL year?

I actually asked a manager one day. she said that in certian areas they carry it full time but in most areas it is a marketing trick.
they only carry it for a short time so people don't get sick of 'em and stop eating them altogether.
all I know is it worked on me because I only goto McD's when i see a McRib commerical, and will order two of 'em.

Spyk'd said:
This happened when they made them stop using lard. The fries suck now too.

Also, let's talk about size. I remember when a Big Mac was BIG.

Am I crazy or was it me just getting bigger, not the sandwich getting smaller?

This may be painfully obvious as well, but they used to have two kinds of pies, apple AND cherry (filled with LAVA of course!)

:cross:
Right! There is no way that pie filling should be as hot as it is. I have gotten 3rd degree burns on my lip from that **** oozing out.

How about the Mc DLT? "The cold side stays cold and the hot side stays hot"
It was served in the side-by-side styrofoam box.

Thats the other thing I miss.....the nice sturdy styrofoam containers everything used to come in.....ahh those were the days before we knew what CFC's were.

Has anyone tried to take a Big Mac out of its box recently? Damn thing is designed to have 0.1" clearance, I swear!

Speaking of which, Big Mac's suck a lot more than I remember. Tried one the other day for nostalgia's sake. No thanks.

Back