Forgot to take an OG reading on a Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwiggyTwig

Reaction score
Extract recipe:

Steeping grains:
8oz Crystal 120L
4oz Crystal 80L
4oz Black Malt
8oz Chocolate Malt

3 lbs Amber DME
3 lbs Dark DME

1.25oz Fuggles at 60 mins
.75 oz Fuggles at 20 mins

12 oz Lactose and 5 oz unsweetened cocoa at 10 mins.

Pitched a packet of Notty into the worth at 68 degrees, and its been in the fermenter at the low 60s since.

I took a gravity reading last week, as well as this week reading at a 1.03.

I'm afraid this might still be a bit high. Should I still go ahead and bottle?

I cant imagine your not fine to bottle but never did a choclate milk stout. if you were like 1.015 or above you may have a bottle bomb situation.

Maybe I missed something. Are you concerned it didnt ferment? I read as 1.003 but 1.030 is a different story. You could give it a small bump and it may restart but 3 weeks that a while not to start. You said low 60s, notty is good 57- 70. Does it get colder than 57 at night?

hmm. me too. sounds like you are hitting the temps. give it a bump and wait a day or so. if it doesnt start repitch. It could be the packet of yeast you had.

Just an update. Got the fermenter up to 65f and re-pitched a packet of US-05. Five days later, no change in the gravity. What gives? Could it really be done at 1.030?

I am totally confused. Are you sure your reading the hydrometer correctly. 65 is well in the zone for that strain of yeast.

Well, you could bottle. If your concerned about bottle bombs. I bottle some batches in seltzer bottles sometimes. laziness...

Im not sure what to tell you. You could repost in a new thread maybe someone else will have some ideas. Sorry.

Back