Forgot to lube O-ring on keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
I already nailed it at 30psi and bled the keg. its been carbonating now for about an hour when i realized i didnt use lube for the o-ring. should i just let it be or kill the gas, bleed the keg, lube the o-ring, and repeat carbing?

If it's sealing well, then you don't need to worry about it. Lube is really for the lock posts, so that the QD's don't bugger up those O-Rings. I've yet to lube any of the lid O-Rings on my kegs, since they seal up just fine so far.

Jeah, the o-ring still had a little bit of "stick" to it from the last time (even though it was soaked in pbw for 24 hours). i guess it should be fine, just wondering if it would be worth it to go through the effort of trying to lube it now...

I'd leave it alone for this batch. Inspect the large O-Ring when you clean the keg and then decide. You could do a test run with no brew in the keg, with a small amount of lube, to see how it acts. Put some StarSan solution in there, so that it's ready for the next batch. :D

BTW, while I'm filling my kegs, I put the keg lid (O-Ring included) into the bucket of StarSan. Not only does that ensure nothing hitches a ride, it also gets it wet for when I close the keg and put it onto gas.

For the other O-Rings, I usually try the QD on the posts before applying any lube. If it goes on easy, then I leave it alone. If it seems to have too much resistance, I put some lube on it. YMMV

I'd leave it alone for this batch. Inspect the large O-Ring when you clean the keg and then decide. You could do a test run with no brew in the keg, with a small amount of lube, to see how it acts. Put some StarSan solution in there, so that it's ready for the next batch. :D

BTW, while I'm filling my kegs, I put the keg lid (O-Ring included) into the bucket of StarSan. Not only does that ensure nothing hitches a ride, it also gets it wet for when I close the keg and put it onto gas.

For the other O-Rings, I usually try the QD on the posts before applying any lube. If it goes on easy, then I leave it alone. If it seems to have too much resistance, I put some lube on it. YMMV

cool. i usually keep a spray bottle of starsan around every time im brewing/kegging/cleaning. i sprayed the keg lid and o-ring down before i sealed it, just forgot the lube...

You will be fine. I only use the lube if I detect a leak. No need to use it everytime.

Back