Forgot to boil sugar when boiling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxify1234

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

this is my first time trying home brew. My recipe is double sided (one side for extract, one side for all grain). I was reading the wrong side, and completely forgot to boil the corn sugar along with the wort for 60 mins as the recipe indicates.

After I realized I made the mistake, I made another mistake of just pouring the corn sugar (again, I didn't boil !) before adding in my yeast and closing off the fermentation bucket.

Now I'm really regretting the decision and I'm wondering what will happen ? I'm assuming the sugar will have a hard dissolving and breaking down ? And there will be lots of sediments ? Can anyone please suggest some things I can do to save this batch of beer ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

The only concern it that the sugar was not sterile when added. You could have introduced bacteria, wild yeast etc. Too late to do anything now but wait.

The yeast should feed well on the sugar itself though.

The only concern it that the sugar was not sterile when added. You could have introduced bacteria, wild yeast etc. Too late to do anything now but wait.

The yeast should feed well on the sugar itself though.

Thanks for the reply. Anything I can add at this point to reduce the negative impact ? To save the day ?

was your corn sugar part of the recipe or was that your priming sugar for bottles?

I'd say yes, there is something you can do--leave it alone. :) The more you muck with it, the greater the chance that you will contaminate your beer.

Also, I'm not sure that there is much that can live on pure sugar. I think the osmosis from contact with pure sugar would kill most bacteria, yeast, etc.

It's probably fine. Could've introduced bacteria. Assuming this is a kit and the sugar came prepackaged, it might already be sterile enough.

Just wait it out. If you notice any off-flavors/sourness then you might have infected it.

You are probably fine. The yeast will likely outcompete any minimal contamination. Is there a chance it is contaminated? Sure, but probably not. Relax and plan your next brew.

I agree. The risk is there for contamination. The risk is more, IMO, it you mess with it. There may be no infection at all. Just let it finish at this point.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I just didn't want to mess up the first brew of my life!

To everyone that was asking, the corn sugar came with recipe in a little bag. Hopefully that means it's "cleaner" (not sure the right word here) than regular stuff from grocery store.

Back