Forgot to boil corn sugar! It happens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erlkoenig686

Reaction score
Hi all,
at the end of my last brew I brought up some water to a boil then stirred in the corn sugar, however once it was absorbed into the solution I brought it off the heat and mxed it in to my beer. The beer has since been bottled with the partially boiled solution. How will this affect the carbonation of the beer?

side question:When beer is carbonating in the last stage of fermentation are you supposed to refrigerate it or leave it at room temperature? Thanks

You don't have to boil the snot out of priming sugar. It's dry, so it doesn't have the moisture nasties need to propagate. I boil 2C water a couple minutes, stir in the weighed amount of dextrose til the water goes clear again. That's it. I cover it till I'm ready to pour it into the rising column of beer in the bottling bucket. So no worries.
Leave the bottles in the dark at room temp of 70F or so for 3 weeks for average gravity beers. Then one week fridge time & they should be clear Hold good carbonation & head.

You're fine, provided you got the sugar in a good solution. RDWHAHB. Don't fret. As mentioned above, give it a dark, room temp place. For educational purposes, it is quite acceptable to test a bottle every 4 days to detect the added sweetness leaving, and the carbonation increasing. You're very close to being a proud father. Enjoy!

Back