Forgot to ask before i did something!!!???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go get a bottle and open it and take an SG reading first. That would be the perfect way to know if you've got bottle bombs or just overcarbonated beer.

Ok my FG when i check it in the secondary before bottling was 1.014 and I just opened a beer (Barely made a hiss sound) and it read 1.022
:(

Without knowing how long the yeast has been in there munching away, you could be in dangerous territory...

At this point, I think it's all up to you as for which route to take.

Just ran a little simulation on my own... Adding the amount of sugar you did to a recipe would increase the gravity by about 8 points. Normally you would only increase it by about 2 points. So you have a lot more in there than you would have normally.

I'm not sure what the failure point is on the bottles you used, but you'll probably want to do something (whatever you end up doing) within a day or so. At least judging by what I needed to get the CO2 volumes up to in order to match how much sugar you added (at 68F, it hits about 6.1 volumes :eek:)...

I would get a bag of baloons and pop the caps and replace it with a sanitized baloon and let them ferment out. Then reprime each bottle and recap.

While dumping them back into a carboy would oxidize the beer, it's definitely better than losing an eye or worse to a bottle blowing up when you go to open it. I'd gently pour them into a sanitized carboy without splashing, and stick an airlock on it and wait two-three weeks before bottling again.

If that's too much work, take one bottle and check the SG by pouring into a hydrometer test jar. Report back what the reading is and we can help you determine if you've got grenades or just a risk of overcarbing!

Best answer of those given IMO. Pour down the sides slowly of either a carboy or bucket (no splashing) and wait it out.

I think I'm going to pop the caps enough to let them vent for a few days then recap Thursday. After that it's in gods hands! Lol

I would vent them, i dont think for a few days though.After like a week or so i would check them and vent then recap check em again in a week then the next and if they are carbed and taste good refrigerate them or cellar some of them. Seems like a lot to deal with to stick them all back in the fermenter. If they foam out when venting then you got more problems.
Or you could vent with caps on and in boxes covered until it reaches a certain gravity where you could recapp?

If I vent them now will the yest still eat the sugar if there is oxygen present? Or should I leave the caps on just to let the yest eat the sugar and produce carbonation then vent?

If I vent them now will the yest still eat the sugar if there is oxygen present? Or should I leave the caps on just to let the yest eat the sugar and produce carbonation then vent?

As long as you leave it the in the bottle O2 should not be an issue because the CO2 will displace the O2 but if you get a foaming up in the necks you may still blow the caps because the foam may seal the vent. I would do it right away to avoid a lot of pressure so the CO2 won't go into suspension and cause bad foaming when you pop the cap.

i bottled them yester day at 2pm. I cracked a little bit of the caps to vent out the co2 around 10pm.... I coverd it with a garbage bag and a blanked just incase and plan on recapping on sunday or monday.

Ok I went to my local brew store and spoke with one of the guys there. He told me that its a good thing i vented the lids on the bottles. But he told me to leave them vented for 10 - 14 days and the add a sugar drop to re carbonate and cap. He said it will be fine as long as I wait and let the yest fully ferment the suave thats already in the beer and that it should tase fine, just have higher anvil because of the sugar. It make sense what he says. What do u guys think?

Suave, anvil ??? I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

OK I took a look at my stout that I over sugared and they were bubbling up at the top. I do have them vented, is this nature since the yeast is fermenting the sugar that is in them?

beer.jpg

Latest posts

Back