Forgot to add enzymes, but it's all good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVILEMRE

Reaction score
After I pitched my yeast and started cleaning up I realized I forgot to add in my enzymes during the mashing stage.
Everything else went perfectly though. I did a iodine test after mashing and almost no starch remained. And my OG was 1.056 after the boil.
I do all grain, with millet and buckwheat. This time I added some gf malted oats as well. My brewhouse efficiency was 82%. I've never had such excellent results. Not sure what's going on. Not sure if I should take some credit for this, or just got lucky.
8.1 kg grain bill
12 gallons in fermenter
Home malted grains

Perhaps I'm gloating?
Just pleasantly confused. Perhaps someone smarter than me has some insight.

View attachment 1455818463544.jpg

That is great!
I had a batch with crazy good efficiency using purchased malts and figured it was due to variable quality in the malts we purchase. If you malt your own grain then you must have gotten something really right! Hope you took good notes :)

Looks like the only thing left for you to do in the process is grow the grain :)

Funny you should say that. I had convinced my parents to let me borrow a few acres on their farm to grow millet but I had to move for work before I could get underway. I was growing 6 different hops there already and was excited to start the millet too. Instead I buy 40lb bags of unhulled millet at a feed store. It's literally birdseed.

Yep Bird feed can at least be malted instead of bulk food grain that has been IR treated. I grew my own millet last year as well and the turn around from one seed yields 110%, but I only have 20sq ft not a field, the only problem now is the gene pool issue. Cargill anyone LOL!

So the millet you got from a bulk store wouldn't germinate? IR treatment, is that some sort of irradiating that happens when the grain crosses borders?

Yep Bird feed can at least be malted instead of bulk food grain that has been IR treated. I grew my own millet last year as well and the turn around from one seed yields 110%, but I only have 20sq ft not a field, the only problem now is the gene pool issue. Cargill anyone LOL!

Are you telling me we can just get this here bridseed and we can malt it? :):)
Actually I know that wont be certified gluten free. I dont want to hijack this thread but where can I source a 40 bag of unhulled millet? I will like to do my own malts. I live in NJ and I tried looking for farms and I cant find anything close by.

Are you telling me we can just get this here bridseed and we can malt it? :):)
Actually I know that wont be certified gluten free. I dont want to hijack this thread but where can I source a 40 bag of unhulled millet? I will like to do my own malts. I live in NJ and I tried looking for farms and I cant find anything close by.

I got my seeds from an exotic bird feed supplier. These birds are worth $20000 so I can't see bad food being used. The bags I get are 50lbs for $24 but in London Ontario Canada. I'm not sure if you can get this to NJ. So If you use it you will have to test it for sprouting first then try it on a friend who has Gluten intolerance(and it won't kill him to try it) to see how GF it is. As you mentioned we can't know for sure how GF the seeds are, unless you have access to a test lab after you brew with it.

I also live in Canada, the west coast, and I get my unhulled millet from a store called Buckerfields. On the bag is the name of the company that supplies them with the millet. They're in Alberta. When I chatted with the owner, although he couldn't stamp a GF label on the grain he said it was processed in an area with only millet. I doubt he understands the implications of needing gluten free, and I can't really trust the grain entirely, but I've been brewing with this millet for 3 years now and have had no ill-affects, other than slight drunkenness and a lack of visible abs.
Starting with a GF grain, and after the arduous brewing process, I'm betting there's very little gluten left floating around in there. No more than what you'd breathe in walking past a bakery.

Back