Forgot the water in airlock...:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicis

Reaction score
I transfered two 5 gallons (made two kits 5 X two) into two glass carboys. After 15 days I noticed some white bubbles on one of the carboys. Then i see I forgot to add the water in the airlock. These carboys are in a regulated freezer in garage. I know its not good but is the whole 5 gallons ruined?

I looked for the thread "post infections here" but could not find it.

infection.jpg

I don't think it looks like a straight up pellicle yet. No lines between bubbles or slimy stuff atm. Fill the airlocks back up & keep an eye on it. At least smell'em first.

If they are infected, its more likely it happened when you transfered than something getting in through a dry airlock....or at least getting in with enough of a pitch rate to infect a batch in secondary. It might not be infected, some yeasts get roused by transferring to a secondary and will throw up a second krausen (wy1318 london 3 has done that anytime I've dry hopped)...but it doesnt matter what it looks like, its all about what it tastes like (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/). Taste and see if its something you want to drink.

Pellicles look different than krausen. But that looks like it might be a bit of secondary krausening to me. Just not 100% sure,looking at the clusters in the middle closely. Probably nothing,since nasties aren't ninja acrobats...

I am sure you are fine. The process of fermentation should have pushed all the bad stuff out of the carboy and left a nice blanket of co2. It would have been difficult for any thing bad to get through the airlock, even without anything in it. RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back