Forgot stainless steel braid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Long story short I forgot to put my stainless steel braid back in my mash tun before I mashed. Efficiency came out horrible ( supposed to be 1.060 came out at 1.040) Iam sure that it is because of this this issue, but this seems really far off.

I know I saw a table on her to adjust that can anyone direct me there?
T

Thanks for the help.

When you say table to adjust, what are you referring to? like, alc% ? or IBU additions? EFF%?

well each pound of corn sugar adds in 36 points per gallon.
So if you add in a lb of corn sugar into a 5 gallon batch, it'll = 7.2 gravity points.... but becareful adding that much to get it back to normal. i'd just ad a pound and go from there.

Do you think the bad efficiency is due to the lack of the stainless steel braid?

I'd put my bets on that yeah, but I am more curious about how you didn't get a stuck sparge with just the ball valve lol

Rivenin said:
I'd put my bets on that yeah, but I am more curious about how you didn't get a stuck sparge with just the ball valve lol

It's how it used to be done (and still is in some cases). The grain itself acts as its own filter that allows for rinsing, once it is properly settled of course. This can require a more coarse grind, which leads to lower efficiency. I wonder if the OP was successful in his mashing and sparging process because the grain was ground coarser than normal? This would explain his avoidance of a stuck sparge as well as his low efficiency. I just don't think the braid would have that much of an impact on efficiency itself...it simply prevents stuck sparges, which can only be remedied by stirring or adding additional/hotter water (and which do affect efficiency)?

Just theorizing.

The grind if the malt was just enough to crack the husk. I have done 3 all grain before this one all efficiency in the 76% range. I don't know how the sparge didn't get stuck, big it didn't. I feel like it channeled

dhoyt714 said:
The grind if the malt was just enough to crack the husk. I have done 3 all grain before this one all efficiency in the 76% range. I don't know how the sparge didn't get stuck, big it didn't. I feel like it channeled

Not sure about your past brews, but I believe the coarse grind is to blame for the low efficiency.

well each pound of corn sugar adds in 36 points per gallon.
So if you add in a lb of corn sugar into a 5 gallon batch, it'll = 7.2 gravity points.... but becareful adding that much to get it back to normal. i'd just ad a pound and go from there.
I think that should be 46 points/pound or 9.2 in 5 gallons.

So if I added a pound of sugar to the brew that started at 1.030 it would roughly be 1.0372

Think of the gravity points as crystals of sweet malty goodness. Gravity is a measure of the amount of those crystals dissolved in a given volume of water. If you use (or end up with) less water for a number of crystals, your gravity will be higher. The converse is also true.

I think they is the reason why my efficiently is so low. This batch I transferred about 6 gallons which is just way to much. The beer taste like it to.

Back