Forgot some of my specialty grains.. ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevereno30

Reaction score
I have a very interesting dilemma. Two weeks ago, I brewed a double IPA that has been fermenting quite nicely ever since. Today, I realized that I forgot to add 8oz of victory malt to the mash because when at the HBS, I almost missed it and had to crush/bag it separately. Can anyone see any down side to doing a stove top grain steep in 32 oz of water, then boiling it to reduce and adding it to the 2-weeks-fermeting beer? Has anyone ever done anything like this before?
Unless I get some good reasons why not to do this, I will probably do it for science's sake :mug:

Seeing that the beer is two weeks old, if assume the yeast had already dropped out. Will it wake the yeast up by adding some fresh wort in, probably, but I can't say for sure since I've never done this. The one potential risk I see with this is oxidation.

Was the victory the only specialty malt you forgot? I forget if it was a podcast or an article on BYO, but I remember reading about how to keep DIPA recipes simple, ie, keep specialty malts at bay. Let the hops shine thru and the "high abv can give a perceived mouthfeel" (from podcast/article).

I think you will be fine without the victory. Maybe brew the same beer again, and add the victory to the second batch and compare the beers side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't bother, in an IPA the malt is less important anyhow.

It could fail to ferment, making the beer sweet, or it could oxidize the beer, some oxygen will get into the wort when chilling it. Neither is worth the minor flavor difference.

It isn't like leaving the roasted barley out of a Stout.

Thanks for the advice! Oxidation is enough to convince me to leave it out.

One more question: I'm dry hopping with some home grown hops tomorrow. I dehydrated and froze them, but I'm wondering if I should do anything else before dropping them in the fermenter. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Oxidation is enough to convince me to leave it out.

One more question: I'm dry hopping with some home grown hops tomorrow. I dehydrated and froze them, but I'm wondering if I should do anything else before dropping them in the fermenter. Thanks!

As for steeping you might check out Gordon Strong's book. He has a whole chapter on various methods of adding specialty grains to beer. If you don't have a copy get it from the library or buy it. It's worth he cost. I think here is a BeerSmith podcast where brad interviews Gordon about that. I also think there's a beersmith article about it too. Maybe it will be helpful.

About your dry hops...just throw them in. There's alcohol in the beer that will kill anything that might be I the hops. Plus...if you bought them from your LHBS you'd do the same. Treat these the same way. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back