Forgot my Irish moss addition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRussMeister

Reaction score
So I brewed a Kölsch about a month ago with the limited Kölsch II yeast from Wyeast. However, I forgot my Irish moss addition. I was hopeful that everything would settle out after a while, but I am a bit worried as I know the normal Kölsch I strain is a bit dusty. Alas, it has not settled and the haze looks like its one that is here to stay. It's quite cloudy and I was hoping to clean it up now. It is cold and carbonated already. I believe that Irish moss is a protein coagulator, so knowing that, what do people think is the best finings for me to use? And can I use them when its cold and carbed. Thanks!

Remember... Tossing anything in carbonated beer can create a LOT of nucleation sites for bubbles to form... Enough that your beer might start foaming right out the top of the keg and leaving you scrambling to get the lid back on.

Other than that, gelatin will work just as well post-carbonation as before.

I brewed two batches of Kolsch this spring, and both are super clear right now. All it took was time. I did a 3 week primary and about a 1.5 to 2 month secondary. Then one batch was bottled and the other was kegged. Both turned out clear. I'm not saying you shouldn't use other finings, but it will probably clear up eventually if you don't drink it too fast.

I have brewed several batches prior too, but I haven't forgotten the kettle findings before, and they always ended up clearing too. From what it looks like at this point, it won't be clearing on its own, but I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Back