Forgot Late Hop Additions - Add more dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtomd

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale receipe last weekend and I must have looked at the receipe wrong or just had an off day because I forgot to add 1/2 oz of cascade at flameout. I also may have shorted my last aroma hop addition by addnig a 1/4 ounce instead of a 1/2 ounce of cascade. I was thinking about just adding the hops that I missed to the dry hops, which were supposed to be 1 oz of casacade. I guess that I could add additional hops as dry hops but I don't have much lying around. Any other thoughts?

I say go for it! They might make even more of a difference in the dry hop. Try it out; maybe you'll like it so much you'll continue that trend 🍻

there are a lot of opinions when it comes to dry hopping as far as when to do it and the results each time gives. if you dry hop during fermentation the pro is basically that you get the hops in there and the yeast will scrub the oxygen that was introduced via the dry hop. some of the cons are that a lot of that aroma gets blown out during fermentation plus your hops are then in the fermenter for an extended period of time. next option is dry hopping late, this is what i do because i have the ability to purge my fermenter with co2 and basically get the hops in there with little or no oxygen exposure. i dry hop 3 days before i package. cons of this are the previous mention of introducing oxygen so make sure you do it as fast as possible. benefit is excellent hop aroma and flavor in the final product and not having the hops in the fermenter for a long period of time which can cause off flavors. anything more then 7 days in my opinion is not ideal. again this is one of those things you will have to try and see what works better for you. but if it were me i would put them in late and do your best to limit oxygen. you may also need a way of racking with a bit of a filter somewhere if you dont have a way to cold crash. plenty of info out there and feel free to ask any questions.. enjoy the brew!

Cheers!

Back