Forgot hops - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daet2014

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a five gallon batch of brown ale. I wanted it to be light on hops. The plan was for .3 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes for 13.5 IBU. I did that but forgot the fugel and more Magnum at 15 minutes. So I have only 13.5 IBUs total. Will a hop tea help? Is this going to be a sweet mess? The batch is two days into a very active fermentation. Should add tea now or wait until fermentation terminates. Thoughts?

Do you have more information on the recipe or style you were shooting for? For example, the BJCP guidelines for a southern English brown ale say the acceptable IBU range is 12-20, so you're fine letting it be most likely (even if it's a different style). If you want more hop flavor later on, consider dry hopping prior to bottling/kegging.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php

Sure, you can add bitterness with boiled hops.
If you'll boil it in water you'll need less hops than if you boil it in wort because of better utilization in lower OG liquid.

Thanks, it was an American Brown style. I was in the normal range according to BeerSmith for everything but on the light side of hops with my recipe. I did boil a tea last night with less than the full complement of hops and added it in. We shall see.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 60min hops is for bittering, and you did that. Adding hops in the last 15 minutes of the boil would be for hoppy flavor, not for bittering, although I suppose it would bitter it a little bit more... I think you would have been fine without worrying about the 15min hops, if you wanted less hoppy flavor.

I thought that might be the case, but when I took the 15 minute additions off my BeerSmith recipe it shot the hop continuum to the far left in the yellow, so I was concerned. I also know that .3 oz is a very small amount of bittering to add. Thanks, I will report back how this batch works out. My friends are counting on it for Super Sunday. Fortunately, I have an oatmeal stout about a week ahead of this batch that I think will be very good.

Magnum is a very strong hop. (normally 14 - 15 % AA) Hence why .3 oz is sufficient for bittering

Latest posts

Back