forgot about spend grains in bag hahaha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
so i brewed a DIS about last week.. once i was done mashing i put the grains in a big grain bag and into a old kettle to hold it and collect any drippings until i was finished with brewday and got around do my usual and clean everything..quess what? that bag was the only thing i forgot and i discovered that this morning...the smell would make satan cry..rotten milk,puke horrible smell..mold growing on the bag..just a really really disgusting discovery that i wanted to share with you all...if there is anything to take away from this it is dispose of spend grains before anything.:mug:

Yeah, I've gotten tired/lazy a couple times after a late brew day & got that cat wizz mixed with barf smell. It's enough to gag a maggot! :drunk: Good thing I use a nylon bag, it soaked clean after a good rinse & sanitizing. The muslin ones, if allowed to get that way, get tossed. The cotton is way tougher to get clean.

Yeah, I've gotten tired/lazy a couple times after a late brew day & got that cat wizz mixed with barf smell. It's enough to gag a maggot! :drunk: Good thing I use a nylon bag, it soaked clean after a good rinse & sanitizing. The muslin ones, if allowed to get that way, get tossed. The cotton is way tougher to get clean.

That smell will wake you up man..or knock you out

Lolz. Yeah, that was a funny bit. When it comes to getting that funk out of things, gee, I hope you're not busy for a month?!:drunk:

Been there, done that with the cloud in the car & the windows cracked a bit. Ah, the good old days. I still have a bag of spent German grains in the freezer to thaw & dry yet. The toasted bread roasty nutty flavor/aromas should make some great bread for turkey day!

Been there, done that with the cloud in the car & the windows cracked a bit. Ah, the good old days. I still have a bag of spent German grains in the freezer to thaw & dry yet. The toasted bread roasty nutty flavor/aromas should make some great bread for turkey day!

Nice..Good think you kept them frozen..im gonna start utilizing spend grains

Well, by the time I got the dampfbier V2 in the fermenter, it was dark. So I tossed'em in a blue plastic store bag & froze'em till I get around to thawing & drying. I want to get one of those perforated, coated Italian loaf pans I saw on this kitchen sitte on-line. gotta dig out the link real soon.

Back