FOrce Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Hey all. I know a few people who keg and they are always saying its great because the beer is ready to drink so much faster. Wouldent you still have to let it "age" in the bottle to round out the flavor? Ive had some problems with "green" tasting beer and it seems like it takes a good 2-3 months in the bottle to alleviate this?

I put my kegged beer on gas and leave it there for weeks or months. It reaches a saturation point eventually, and I move it to another fresh keg.

10 days fermenting, 5 days crash cooled, then kegged for another 4 to 6 weeks works wonders for me. Most of my beers are not touched for 2 months after brewing, but one needs a pipeline to keep full. :D

There is NO way of getting around the aging process. Some beers are quite good young though, and kegging allows you to enjoy them as fast as a few hours after kegging, instead of weeks of bottle carbing.

Oh yeah, and Ed, I will have you know we now have 3 carboys that are just for Apfelwein.... I have got to stop letting people taste it! (would never deprive the world of that)

Hmm apfelweisen sounds like something I need to try. So far I have added priming sugar to the keg so it can naturally carbonate while its aging.... thanks all

Ed is it important that you transfer the beer into a fresh keg or can you just leave it in the same keg it was carbonated in?

Back