Force carbonation with plastic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashrivers86

Reaction score
I have been reading into forced carbonation recently and I noticed that it is only done with kegs. Hypothetically, if I were to make a 2.5 or 3 gallon batch of beer in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket, could I force carbonate this way? With pressure being the way it is, I was thinking about putting a 50 pound steel weight on top of the lid to keep it from bowing.

i don't think you be able to maintain pressure in the bucket. even if the weight holds the lid on the bucket I doubt it will maintain its seal around the rim of the bucket or keep the co2 line in place in the lid through a grommet. I suspect if it were that easy it would be more common place than kegging

Test it out! Be sure to let us know your findings.

I bet a good sealing bucket will hold at least a few pounds of pressure. Just a few pounds will carbonate a liquid, albeit lightly, if given a long enough time. I think time is where you'll find this isn't viable.

You'll probably be better off using some 2L bottles.

Will do. Anyone know if there are any good pale ales that can be made with harvested San Diego Super Yeast?

If you can check the pressure inside your barrel when it stabilizes you can quickly calculate the the dissolved CO2 at a given temperature. The pressure your cap will hold will be the weight (50lbs) divided by the surface area (pi*0.25*diameter of bucket). That could also give you an idea. Post your cap diameter and room temp and we can tell you :) - of course this is assuming a perfect seal

You made that up Rosenhops. I'll probably wait until the last 48 hours of bubble. This way I will keep pressure but it won't be extreme.

Nothing made up, not sure why you'd say that... So here's an example to hopefully clear it up: my bucket is 14in diamter, that's 154 sq in. Applying 50lbs across that surface is 50lbs/154sq.in. = 0.3 psi. So your lid will hold whatever it's seal can hold plus 0.3psi. Looking at a few threads it seems that the lid blows at only a few , so let's say 3psi, so it will blow at 3.3 psi (just think how strong that is, 3 pounds on every square inch, that is over 450 pounds on the lid alone, so this is probably an over estimate). Looking at the solubility of CO2 at 3.3psi and room temperature gives 0.9 vol of CO2, which is only half the minimum recommended carbonation for a pale/IPA. Therefore it probably won't be worth the trouble since you will have to carbonate further anyway.
Sidebar: the gas released by yeast is not pure CO2, and carbonating at the end of fermentation will likely mean a lot of weird additional flavors. I say weird because it might include good flavors too.

Latest posts

Back