Force carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewestveer

Reaction score
When I keg my beer I force carb at 30psi for 24 hours. I then drop to 8 psi serving pressure. I am having problems with low carbonation. What am I doing wrong? How can I obtain better carbonation?

The best way is to give it more time. I'll boost the psi up to about 25 for 24 hrs but then bring it back down to serving pressure for almost two weeks. That typically gets the best results.

8psi seems a bit on the low side. I keep mine at 12 psi and get "standard" carbonation. Maybe rise your serving pressure a bit ? and also, as Rockn M said.. give it some more time .

Cheers!

It depends on the style, but 8 psi sounds a little on the low side to me. At sea level, most of my beers would be carbed to about 12 psi. Are you carbonating a room temp or a serving temp keg? Leaving a cold keg on 30 psi makes me nervous so I normally set it to serving pressure and rock the keg for half an hour or so. This gets it pretty darn close and it finishes up in the days following. The advantage is that it's impossible to over carbonate a keg this way.

I don't think you can wait only 24 hours. Your beer probably isn't even cold yet. At 30 psi and room temp, I would shake back and forth (end to end) for about 1 minute, let it sit in the kegerator for a while (maybe an hour?), then come back and reduce to serving pressure. It should be pretty close at that point. If I don't need the beer right away I will let it sit overnight at this point.

Plug it in for 2 weeks at 11 psi (check chart with temp) and then drink. Simple... I haven't quick carbed one yet and never had an issue. Sucks waiting so long but worth it.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

These are all great tips. I will try them out. To answer one of the questions I am cold carbing. I place the keg(s) into my keezer then set at 30 like I mentioned in my original post.

Thanks all for the tips thus far.

Back