Force Carbing Stout Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteyAwol

Reaction score
I'm force carbing a chocolate stout that comes in at 6.4% ABV. I have the fridge set to 42 degrees and the pressure to 8-9 PSI to achieve a carb level of 2.02-2.12. I am doing the set it and forget it method.

My question is that when it's done after a week or so, will it hurt to raise the pressure to up the serving pressure or will the beer take on more co2 and over carbonate for the style? How does it work where the beer has taken all the co2 it should and avoid over carbing.

Normally i set my carbing pressure to serving which is about 11 PSI for all my other ales. So I never have a problem with having to up the pressure for serving. I'm sure 8-9 PSI will be fine for serving, just a slower pour most likely.

If you set it to 11 PSI, it will eventually take on that amount of CO2 in solution. Do you have a secondary or dual body regulator? Otherwise, you will have to set all beers to the same CO2 pressure.

Personally, I just put everything at about 8-9 PSI and serve at that pressure as well, no matter the style.

The beer will absorb more co2 at the higher pressure. You should be fine serving at 8-9 psi if that is your desired carbonation level.

That said, don't be surprised if it's not fully carbonated in a week. It seems like my beers take longer than that before they're really carbed up. I have a stout that's been carbing for a two weeks now that was definitely not ready a week ago, and i just sampled an IPA that's been under pressure for a week that isn't ready yet IMHO

I have a dual gauge primary on my tank connected to a 4 way taprite just so I can carb whatever is in my kegs according to style. I knew I would run into this issue down the line so I went all out just to avoid issues with multiple kegs and multiple styles. I was just a bit concerned that 8-9 PSI would take forever to pull a beer off the tap.

I havent a problem yet with beers being under carbed after just a week. I have my ale set to 11 PSI in the 42 degree keezer so I am either lucky or its just working well. I will draw a stout on the one week mark just to test it all out on my stout. I was wondering if i raised the PSI's would it go into solution and the answer is apparently yes.

Thanks for the reply guys. This board is my go to for my home brew questions. My next one up is the Heady Topper clone recipe that was in BYO's last issue. Talk about a god damn good IPA. I wish I was in Vermont. A buddy followed the recipe to a T, and his clone came out pretty damn close considering he propagated the yeast from a Heady can. Propagating yeast from beers is above my knowledge as of now, but one day......

fwiw, my experience has been that it take two weeks for full corney kegs of "normal" FG brews (say in the 10-15 point band) to reach an acceptable carbonation level, with a third week making them perfect, using the so-called "set and forget" force carbonation method and the proper pressure for the beer temperature. But heavier beers (in the 20-25 point range) take longer, usually at least an extra week.

The above is why I invested in a second beer fridge just to use for cold-conditioning/carbing/holding ready for the keezer. It extended my pipeline by at least two weeks...

Cheers!

Back