Force carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redman1340

Reaction score
This is my first time at this. I was told to set my regulator to 20 psi and leave it for a day and then turn the pressure down to serving pressure. Will this work or do I need to do something different?

If the beer has been chilled prior to force carbonation does it take less pressure and less time?

Redman1340 said:
If the beer has been chilled prior to force carbonation does it take less pressure and less time?

Kinda...Co2 absorbs in colder beer quicker than warmer beer. After 20 psi for a day your beer will not be carbed. There is a fine line between undercarbed and then quickly overcarbed brew. You are better off getting close then setting to the serving pressure.

brewingmeister said:
Kinda...Co2 absorbs in colder beer quicker than warmer beer. After 20 psi for a day your beer will not be carbed. There is a fine line between undercarbed and then quickly overcarbed brew. You are better off getting close then setting to the serving pressure.

So leave it for a day at 20 psi and then serving pressure for a few days or or longer?

Redman1340 said:
So leave it for a day at 20 psi and then serving pressure for a few days or or longer?

That would likely carb you up in under a week assuming you had the brew cold.

I stress the fine line between under and overcarbed because it is easy to go over especially if you are new to kegging.

I would either use the method outlined in the sticky thread or simply do the 'two week set and forget' model. Basically, you set the keg on the serving pressure for two weeks, then pull a pint to check. If it's good, then continue. If you need more, increase the pressure by a psi or two and give it a few days. If it's too high, then turn off the gas and vent the keg a few times a day for two to three days before connecting again and testing.

Your PSI and temperature guide... Print it out, place it on the brew fridge/keezer/kegorator (or wall above) and use it... I have a copy printed and placed on the side of my brew fridge (the side I can easily see, which is right with the temperature display)...

BTW, I use the two week set and forget method with great results. I also check the kegs for pressure level before putting them into the brew fridge. Any that are above 10-15 psi get vented to ~10psi before they go into the fridge for carbonating and then serving.

Redman; as in many similar threads, I would recommend getting a CO2 stone for your future use. Attach a 2' piece of vinyl tube to your gas in tube and the stone on the other end. Carb in 48 hours at serving pressure and temp; fairly quick carbing and no need to fool with your regulator.

There are a lot of successful ways to force carb. For example, my process is transferring my room temp beer from the fermenter to the keg and then it goes into my kegerator which sits at 40. I set the pressure to 30psi for 48hrs and then move it down to serving temp for a week. This provides my brews perfect carbonation for me after a week and I've never overcarbed any of my brews. If you chill the keg first, you wouldn't need high pressure for as long due to the absorption rate of colder liquids and co2. Honestly, just play with different things and find out what works for you.

Back