Force carb with chart...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stavale8099

Reaction score
Hello all,

I read the forum with the charts on how many volumes CO2 per temp per PSI but it's a little over my head. Volumes of CO2 is not really a tangible idea to me unfortunately so I'm not sure where I'm at...
I brewed an oatmeal stout which I kegged 2 days ago. I have a 5 gallon batch. Temp in thehouse is about 70-75 degrees. I set the PSI to 30 in hopes of it being done in a day or so. It's been almost 2 days (maybe I'm impatient) and while its amazing and delicious, its just a little under carbonated...I'd still personally drink it but my wife thinks it needs more. I'm wondering if after this amount of time if @ 30 PSI it really will carbonate any more than it is right now. I don't want to turn it up and over carb it and I'm unsure if it will get any better than it already is right now. Will more time help? Thanks!!!!
Eric

The keg is sitting at room temperature? At room temp and 30psi, it will carb in about 18-20 days. If the keg is 40F in a fridge, it will carb in about 36 hours at 30psi.

Look at the chart.. most beers are good between 2 and 3 volumes of CO2. If you use chart pressure given a certain beer temperature, it will take 18-20 days.

What Bobby said.

Or you can chill it to 38-40*F, set it at serving pressure of 10-12psi and let it carb/condition for two weeks.

Back