Force carb times and volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

Bridge four
Reaction score
Odd question that may have been answered before.

Does it take the same amount of time to force carb 2.5 gallons as it does 5 gallons?

I brewed five gallons of Pilsner and decided to bottle half for coworkers to try. I put the other half in the keg and have been force carbing for about 24 hours. Should I expect it to take the same amount of time for half the volume? Logically, it should take half the time because it is half the volume, however I could see it taking the same amount of time because it is still the same volume inside the keg.

Anyway, before I get bogged down with questions, I started force carbing at 30 PSI and will turn it down to about 15 PSI for a few days before dropping it down to serving pressure. Not really shooting for a specific carb level because I made it for me and not to please anyone else.

Thanks for the help

This is definitely an @doug293cz question, but I'll swag an answer:
Relative time must be about the geometry: surface area * depth. Other factors should cancel out.
If you were to put 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon corny keg it'd likely reach equilibrium in half the time vs a full 5 gallons.
In the same vein, be careful about burst carbing a half-filled keg. The typical "30 psi for 24 hours" thing could end up a foamy mess...

Cheers!

@day_trippr is correct - for the same surface area, 1/2 the volume (of beer) will carb in about 1/2 the time. Maybe not exactly, but close. The headspace volume plays no part in time to carb, if CO2 is continuously connected.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the replies. I turned off the gas this morning before work and will go check on it tonight when I get home. Hopefully it isn't a foamy mess....

Back