Force carb clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I've done alot of searching and reading some of the other posts without finding the answer (as least so I get it).

I've got two kegs to carb and I've got a spare tank and regulator.
The kegs are at 64F (out of room in keezer)

Plan is to set regulator to 28psi and forget about the kegs for a couple weeks.
If I understand correctly, the beer will absorb X amount of CO2 at given temp and head pressure, so leaving gas on should not be an issue.
After two weeks, put kegs in keezer and purge head space.
When keg is cold, set reg. to serving pressure and drink away.
Yea or nay?

Sounds about right to me....but I've never carbed a keg warm, so don't take my word for it.

I think 28 psi might be a bit high though, unless you're going for a highly carbonated beer.

I'm looking for about 2.7,2.8 volumes. One is a Hefe and the other an Alt.

Actually for the volumes of c02 and the temp, 28psi is right on. It probably won't be 100% carbed in two weeks, but it should be close. Follow the same formula when you put it in the keezer. People get confused by "serving pressure", their really is no such thing. It's always beer temp and volumes of c02.

I'm sure you know that, but a lot of people will chuck their beer in the keezer and put it at 10-12psi regardless of temp and carbonation desired.

Latest posts

Back