Force Carb Causes Metalic Taste???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWE

All Grain supports the Brain
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading through a post just today and a guy was having problems with a metallic taste and the consensus ended up being a possible overcarb. Can someone please explain this a little more. What causes this? I had a blonde that did this, but over time it went away. Would a filter in line of the CO2 help?

I don't believe it's force carbonating that causes this off taste, but like you stated over carbonation. Simple fix is don't burst carb your brews. Set it at the serving pressure and wait three weeks. Perfect carbonation every time. Requires patience....but that's what this hobby is about. No need for filters and such. :mug:

That's crazy. I wonder what it is that causes this? You would think CO2 is CO2.

Just guessing, but carbonic bite is a common byproduct of force carbing, and when you overcarb you're introducing too much of what causes carbonic bite: carbonic acid. So basically it's an acidic bite that can sometimes present itself as metallic like.

I don't disagree with the advice to not try and burst carb. But as a guy who's trying to brew for a golf tournament, and annual club beer camp, get beers ready for state fair, and a barrel project....I'm compelled to point out that most micro brewers do burst carb for 24 hours in a bright tanks before packaging.

Set and forget is my preferred method, but it isn't always an option. The key is NOT to overcarb when burst carbing. I find 25PSI, No shaking, for 3 days, and dial back to serving pressure is my best outcome when I must burst carb.

The only time I get a metallic-tasting carbonic acid bite is when I have the need to burst carb (30psi for 32 hours). It fades away in a few days. When I follow my normal 12psi set and forget for a couple of weeks, no bite.

Latest posts

Back